Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New member from Chicago, IL

Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member from Chicago, IL

I picked up a C5 Z06 Vette in September 2014, its got just under 80,000 miles on it. An exhaust valve broke 2 weeks ago and it dropped a valve. I pulled 1 head and looks like just the exhaust valve in one cylinder was destroyed, the intake valve is bent, and a few scratches and small marks on the piston.. Not too bad actually, so I was lucky the spring broke while the car was at idle.. I'm hoping there isn't any hidden damage, guess I'll find out when I run it after the repairs are complete!

I love the car, so I cant wait to get it running again. I joined the site to research the engine so i can be better informed when working on it..

Since Gm discontinued the valves for the LS6, I found 1 new/unused exhaust valve on ebay which i now have. I also found one intake valve on the Z06 facebook page, but that valve ended up not being good. That guy is cool and is sending me another.. It was weird, if you shake the valve, you can actually hear something rattling inside of it. I know its hollow, but hearing it rattle, i dont want to use it! lol.

I picked up BTR dual springs with Ti retainers, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR push rods, 2 new rockers for the cylinder that broke the spring, and all the gaskets to get the job done. I should have all the parts in the next week, too bad I have other house projects going on so it might be a couple weeks till I get it going again. I dont know how long the machine shop will have the head for either, I'll find out when I give him the valves and parts to complete that one head.

Thanks for reading,
Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

welcome to Tech, congrats on the C5Z and hope you get it fixed soon....
What an awesome car for sure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member from Chicago, IL