Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!

I'm new to the ls game and I'm having my first one built. I'm trying to learn how to do it myself. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated! My funds are limited at this moment also. My 1st problem is deciding on a cam to run in a 2005 ls stock 5.3 lm7. I found a great deal at BTR but I can't figure out which stage cam to get. The guy helping me said to get a low rpm cam but I can't find the ranges anywhere. I want a good/big cam but I'm not for sure if I can do a stage III or stage IV...please help!
Old 08-29-2015, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Most people recommend bolt on mods first. Stuff like lid, headers, off-road pipe, etc. Those mods may made more sense to start with and be easier on your wallet especially since you can pick up some good used parts on this list.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002Firehawk
Most people recommend bolt on mods first. Stuff like lid, headers, off-road pipe, etc. Those mods may made more sense to start with and be easier on your wallet especially since you can pick up some good used parts on this list.
Yes thanks, I guess I'm not as limited as I said on funds...I purchased the 2005 5.3 and 4l60e combo with a little less than 90,000 miles on it. I have purchased long tube headers custom fit to my 86 c10 2wd that the engine is going in. I also have the exhaust to put on too. I have money saved for a cam swap. I just really don't know much about cams and all the #s that come with them. I don't want to have to change the rockers either, too much work right now. I want to change the cam, springs and rods only. I will definitely be getting it tuned too. Any help?
Old 08-29-2015, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll have to defer to some of the more experienced members of the list as I haven't hit that point on my car. That's probably next summer for me.

Most of what I see recommends rockers being changed since you're doing everything else and I would agree. No sense putting old rockers back and you may pick up a little HP with higher quality ones.

I looked and don't see a specific forum for cams and/or heads. If none exists, find a forum more tech related and make a post there so that others can see and offer input.

GL!

Quick Reply: I need help!