Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Trans Am!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Trans Am!

Hey guys and gals,

I'm Ryan. Just bought a 98 Trans Am T-Top 6 speed. Looking for some pointers on some quick bolt on performance. I'd love to push 450 to the rear wheels at one point, I believe it's low 300's now with the tune it has on it. Looking at long tubes, msd coil, plugs, wires, maybe an ls6 intake and bigger throttle body (don't know if they just bolt up or it would need some other modifications...) I'd love to put a more aggressive cam in it, something driveable with a little boost in power and that crazy choppy idle (it already has electric cut out's, so that would be neat). Any advice for a starter? The car has a tick performance stage 2 transmission, stage 2 clutch, hurst shifter, 3" electric cut out's, magnaflow muffler, Koni fully adjustable rear shocks and a tune which according to the previous owner only advanced the timing a hair. Not sure if I should get it reflashed or what, not too knowledgeable on the tuning... Any help on where to start would be great!

Thanks
Old 11-25-2015, 08:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is for a camshaft package and longtube headers.

Welcome to the madness Ryan, and congrats on the new car!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I ordered an SLP lid, MSD 8.5 mm wires and iridium MSD plugs so far. Having a second gear issue, so tranny needs to be pulled, but I'd love to do a camshaft package but honestly have no clue where to even start! I want something streetable with an awesome choppy idle. I want to keep the reliability for cruising, without going to modest. Any suggestions?

QUOTE=Joey@Tick;19053580]My vote is for a camshaft package and longtube headers.

Welcome to the madness Ryan, and congrats on the new car![/QUOTE]
Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbernsdo
Thanks! I ordered an SLP lid, MSD 8.5 mm wires and iridium MSD plugs so far. Having a second gear issue, so tranny needs to be pulled, but I'd love to do a camshaft package but honestly have no clue where to even start! I want something streetable with an awesome choppy idle. I want to keep the reliability for cruising, without going to modest. Any suggestions?
Give our Sales Techs a call at 336-719-0599, they'll be happy to coach you through both your transmission repair and any future modifications (including camshaft upgrades!) You can also email them at support@tickperformance.com - they're actual technicians, so you'll be speaking with somebody with actual hands-on knowledge, not just a salesman.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Launching!

+1 for Tick Performance. Great guys to deal with. I would also skip the MSD coil packs. Nothing wrong with the factory ones.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies everyone! This car is not going to be my daily driver, I'd love to have a high 11 second car as an end result. I will be pulling the motor and tranny this winter, hopefully within the next month or so, tranny seems like second gear is gone, I'm having it professionally looked at. As far as performance wise, ive heard and seen a million things. as far as the cam goes, I'd love to have a big nasty lope, yet still be streetable, something I can essentially just put in my stock ls1 without needing to do heads or anything else. I know it's probably a little out there, but all the additional stuff needed to make this work with that etc, I don't think I can afford it all right now. I'd love to do a different intake and throttle body (or port mine) but I have no clue the tuning that goes into that. I would love if someone just laid it out- heres the cam you want (choppy idle, yet streetable), heres how to go to a 92 mm intake, this is the brand to go with (FAST, MSD etc) heres the throttle body to go with it and heres what you need to do to make it all work together.

If someone could do that, you'd be my hero for the day!

Thanks,

Ryan

Quick Reply: New Trans Am!