Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New LT1 Member

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New LT1 Member

Hello everyone! My name is John and I am located in Western NY. Tomorrow, I will likely be the proud owner of a pretty clean 1994 Purple Pearl Metallic M6 Z28 with t-tops. The car has been in NC its whole life, has had two owners and has 112,000 miles on it. It needs some minor interior work, and has a few small sensor (abs, coolant) issues, but the underside is clean enough to eat off of and the car is mechanically stock as far as I can tell.

I have been reading these forums off and on for the past 6-7 years. I have really limited experience turning wrenches and I am in awe of some of the cars and knowledge that I have seen on this website.

If the deal goes through, I will post up some pictures. I will be trying to take a good listen to the engine and making sure that everything feels good on the test drive. Is there anything else for which I should look out in specific?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

I would check for oil leaks around the timing cover as best as you can. It isn't a deal breaker, but something that should be addressed. You may want to also see if it was converted over to a vented Optispark. Again, not a deal breaker, but the more you know type of thing.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the reply! I'll be looking out for oil leaks, I'll probably let the car run for a while before I take it out on the test drive and then take a second look at it when I get back from the test.

Are the head gaskets usually pretty solid on the LT1?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

They aren't the MLS gaskets like the LS engines have, but they are pretty decent.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get that LT1?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blacklist
Did you ever get that LT1?
Bought the car and registered it this morning! The previous owner was a great guy and the car is in pretty good shape. The exhaust sounds very good (not sure if its stock or not), drives very well and the opti and water pump were just replaced.

I will post up some pictures soon. I'm really excited!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great! I know i enjoy mine

Quick Reply: New LT1 Member