Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello from mass!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from mass!

Hi, I am the new owner of a 2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7L V8. It seems to run good and no lights were on when I bought it.

Now the SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light and sensor light just came on... I sprayed WD40 on my gear shifters and my pulley for fan belt. Now my SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light is on?

does anyone know if the O2 sensor is near the gear box, or why WD40 would trigger a Service light? It wasn't on when I bought the car and the motor is real quiet, seems to run alright. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Holda
Hi, I am the new owner of a 2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7L V8. It seems to run good and no lights were on when I bought it.

Now the SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light and sensor light just came on... I sprayed WD40 on my gear shifters and my pulley for fan belt. Now my SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light is on?

does anyone know if the O2 sensor is near the gear box, or why WD40 would trigger a Service light? It wasn't on when I bought the car and the motor is real quiet, seems to run alright. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome! Be sure to post some pics of your car!
Instead of guessing what may be wrong or why the CEL is on, I'd pull the codes. Its probably not related to the WD40 you sprayed.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Post some pics of your car.

As for the SEL just get it scanned and see what code you have and then do a search here. Lots of information here and people willing to help.