Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum

Howdy all,
New here, been getting my adrenaline on two wheels for a while now but as time passes I find laying down over the gas tank isn't as comfortable as it used to be. So, traded off the Honda VTR1000F and got myself a 95 Z28. Acquired the car from a friend with a bad head gasket (it ran but poorly of course). The heads had just been redone and after talking with him I believe there was a installation problem with the Cometic gasket(s). It is Aluminum head LT1 383. Already pulled the head and everything appears OK with the head checking good for flatness. Just got delivery of the new head gaskets and hope to reassemble soon. This is my first foray into computer controlled high performance cars. My last car was 25 years ago and was a 67 Chevelle with a 327. Holley carbs and dual point distributors I have worked with, turning wrenches is no problem and I'm hoping to learn some new things. Here's what I'm working with:
LT1 based 383
Reworked LT1 alum heads
Torque Head LS1 computer conversion
forged rotating assy 22 cc dish pistons w/.098 Cometic head gaskets (93 octane pump gas)
Modified Victor Jr intake
48# injectors
95MM Edelbrock throttle body
Vortec 1 running 10 lbs boost
TH400 trans w/3800 stall convertor
I'll report back when I have it reassembled and running.
Thanks in advance for any tips, help, etc. I'm sure I will need the assistance of knowledgeable LS1/LT1 folks and hope to find it here,
Pointless
Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Sounds like you have a great start to an awesome ride. But, did I read that right? .98 thick head gasket? I’ve never heard of a head gasket that thick before. Just curious. Also, do you know for sure that the head gasket was gone? With everything checking straight, I wonder if the bolts were improperly torqued. Whether not in the correct pattern or just not tight enough. Anyways, hope it turns out. Sounds like it should be fun.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Cometic will layer up a head gsket. They call it MLS (Multi Layer Steel). With the .098 gasket I get the comp ration down to 8.77 to 1, perfect for the 10 lbs of boost and 93 octane. Haven't made it to the dyno yet but computer program says approx. 680HP at the crank and 525 RWHP. Have all the pieces should have it back together in the next 2 weekends.