Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Following Instructions: Introduction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Following Instructions: Introduction Thread

Hi anyone reading this,

I am RIck. I like bicycles, but my car friends want me to play with them more.

I put together a Fiero with an LT1 350 in 2003-2004. I tried pretty much all of the transverse manual transmissions GM made.

They all broke.

V8 Archie and his fans said I was a bad driver.

Then, in 2008, when I wrapped the Fiero around an SUV, it looked like they were correct.

I began to rebuild the Fiero with a new Chassis, but I discovered the world of small planes and after that road bicycles. The rebuild languished.

Last Autumn, a car friend saved a 1984 Indy Pace car from the crusher. He brought it home for himself and realized it needed more work than he wanted to take on. He offered it to me to entice me back into the car/Fiero hobby.

I have been slowly working out the build plan in my head and collecting some parts.

This spring my rusty awful Yukon, finally got too bad to keep driving so it got replaced with a slightly newer but rust free Suburban.

Over the weekend I got a chance to talk to John Callies face to face. He is a wonderful gentleman with more car knowledge than I think a few of me could ever have.

I got to ask the question I needed to ask. The only problem is that It was not the answer I wanted. "Is there a GM manual transaxle that can hold a small block GM engine?" His answer was simple with no thought. "No" Then I asked what about the Actual Indy Pace car track car? Nope, the most I had was 230lb/ft of torque a small block will break it. (John does not drive things gently either) He said the only thing that could work is Automatic. 4t65HD with the one inch chain. I did not think to ask about the 4t80e at the time.

So, I have signed up here because I wish to see more of what bfurches has done. I wish to see if it is possible to just use the rusty Yukon Engine. Or should I find an LS4? How well does the 4t80 work in the end? ETC.

I am long winded, opinionated, somewhat abrasive, but willing to help most any time.

Rick,