Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello everyone. First LS Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello everyone. First LS Project

Hello Everyone.

Like the title says, this is my first LS project. To be honest, this is my first real project car.

To make a very long and complicated story very short, I have inherited my dad's 1979 Triumph TR7 that was going to be a father son project. Unfortunately, dad isn't going to be around for quite some time. Sometimes good people do the bad things for good reasons and it comes back to bite them hard. That's all I want to say about that.

I wrench on my own 2004 Ford Ranger. It's the only engine I know. It's a little 2.3l and I went the gas mileage direction and not the go fast direction. Currently I'm getting 33 mpg and I'm shooting for 35+. A rear end swap is the next step and should get me pretty close. Dad and I wanted the TR7 to be a go fast car that could still go far-ish on the highway.

I currently have some ideas on what I would like to do, but being so new at this I'm sure I'm going to need quite a bit of coaching. For all the internet lurking and searching I did, this seemed like the place that had the most information all on one site. I'm hoping I can lean on and learn from you all.

I like working with my hands and know tools and can weld decently if you don't look super close. Dad taught me all of that. I'm real good with numbers and I'm pretty sure I can handle the go far-ish side of this car. The LS world is completely new for me, so you all may have to dumb things down a bit until I learn more. I'm from the internet information generation and get most of my reading material from websites. I'm pretty good at weeding through information and finding what I think is relative. And I definitely have no problem asking questions and learning from my mistakes. It's easier to make those mistakes on paper first rather than make them in real life, so to start all my ideas are in theory only until I come up with a solid plan. Then I'll start finding parts and putting them together.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to start (which forums and such) that would be a real help. If it matters much, the engines I am looking at are the L33 5.3l or the L98 6.0l or the L92 6.2l. From wht I have read, they are all about the same physical size and I have no idea about their weights. Size and weight are going to be major in what engine I start with.

Thank you all

Last edited by LS Grasshopper; 07-02-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can start by searching the forums by thread for engine sizes and weights...aluminum v. steel, etc. most people here will help but you have to be willing to exhaust the search function of the forums.

Quick Reply: Hello everyone. First LS Project