Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Guy with the Wrong Car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with the Wrong Car...

Hey all,

I've read many threads from this site but figured it was finally time to join. Also, finally have a reason to join.

I work for General Motors as a Test Engineer at the Desert Proving Grounds in Yuma, AZ. My Dad worked for GM at the old DPG in Mesa for many years prior to that facility closing. My dad, brother, and I are all into cars and we have quite a fleet of vehicles built up, some complete and some projects. In the complete category we've got a 69 Ford Torino, 69 Chevy Chevelle, and a 69 Ford Torino Talladega. Waiting to be done is a 71 Shortbed C10, 67 Mustang GT, and a 70 Mustang Mach One. We are not very brand specific, but we have noticed that we've got more Fords than Chevys lol. Since graduating from ASU in 2016 I've moved to Yuma to start work, got married, and had my first child. My wife is fantastic and lets me get away with much more thank I should when it comes to the cars lol. I've got a 79 C10 truck for her to build and a Duramax diesel to shove into it one day.

Figured I'll get the bad part out now, my car is an 84 Foxbody Mustang. Was originally a 5.0, 5 Speed, T-Top car. The car had been sitting outside for 26 years when I got it. Being fresh out of school and just bought a house, I did a roadkill style rebuild on it to get it on the road. Replaced the engine, but kept everything else alone. I drove the car like that for a couple years, until one day I did an oil change and it came out sparkly. Teardown revealed rod bearing on #8 was trashed, so the block went off to the machine shop to be repaired. Got the engine back in the car and broke it in, drained the oil and came out glittery again. Teardown this time revealed main bearings 1,2, and 4 were toast. It was going to cost more than I was willing to spend on that 302 to fix it so I junked it. Moving forwards, this is my reason for joining the site. I acquired an LS1 from a 2000 or 2001 Camaro that needs work, and a T56 from a Viper, and both of those will be finding their way into the Mustang.

So I'm sure I'll be spending a fair amount of time on this site getting the LS1 into the car and running!

For anybody interested, I have a thread on Pro Touring that I have kept on the car up until now, and I will keep it going forwards.
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...GT-(Slow-Build)

Thanks for letting me in, looking forwards to talking with you all!
Old 01-04-2021, 04:30 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-04-2021, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 277 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome sir, looks like a good candidate for some LS power. That car reminds me very much of the "power block" mustang they built. Happy wrenching SIR.....

Quick Reply: New Guy with the Wrong Car...