Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy on the block

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy on the block

Hi, been a Corvette forum member several years. I'm jumping the shark. I am retired and live in Arizona. I worked 30 years for the Boeing company. Not wealthy but not broke (yet..lol). I met a fellow employee thru friends on Facebook after my retirement. He was the Manager of quality control on the C-17 military transport program. I was in charge of boring the main landing gear. +.000 -.0015 tolerances. As I understand it he grew up with his dad owning a machine shop. He's built hundreds of engines without failure. Also holds degrees...what im not sure. Raced the Silver State challenge at 216 mph in a C4. Being gifted with this new friend he offered to walk me thru every step of a rebuild. Wont allow short cuts. Will allow me to do everything or will do it as he teaches me. Heres my big Q...which LS. Including LQ's is the best for overall budget motor choice with best Hp output?
Maybe I should make a post?
Old 02-12-2021, 10:05 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Welcome aboard! Personally for me, if your putting this LS in a Vette, the only choice is an aluminum version unless of course it’s going to see a ton of boost from a blower or turbo. Aluminum block will keep the weight off the front end and improve the handling, versus an iron block engine, which will add 80ish pounds to the nose of the car. What are your goals for the vehicle, assuming it’s a Vette...
Old 02-13-2021, 04:46 AM

Presently setup with Steeroids rack and pinion, Sharkbite rear. 3.08 Will add 700r4. But I wont be racing it. Looker for show. weekend stuff. Just want a nice overall combo.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:53 AM

real quick just wanted to say I saw you build. Wow. Very impressive. The gentleman I spoke of in my comments is someone like you. I speak of talent when I say that.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:17 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray luka
real quick just wanted to say I saw you build. Wow. Very impressive. The gentleman I spoke of in my comments is someone like you. I speak of talent when I say that.
Thank you. I appreciate the props. Regarding your engine choice, you mentioned the words “budget” and “best HP output” in the same sentence. Bang for the buck, go with a crate LS3. GM offers the LS3 in a kit form consisting of ECM, harness, etc. makes doing this much easier. LS3 is a 420ish hp deal and is an easy camshaft change away from 500 hp. Really hard to beat for the money. It’s an all aluminum engine which helps everything in your build also. Build a fuel system and your an exhaust system away from huge smiles. I’ve seen this swap done in many early vettes and it always looks like GM put it there with a little patience and planning. Enjoy the journey sir.

Quick Reply: New guy on the block