Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to the 5.3 game.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the 5.3 game.

Hello everyone,

Just starting my first ever 5.3 LM7 build in a 2000 single cab Silverado. Pretty pumped to tear it apart and learn. I want to single turbo and make a little race/street truck. I have definitely went down the rabbit hole on this build very fast and in a hurry for no reason but its all learning process. Motor has close to 300k miles, it ran pretty solid for the most part had no issues, but the goal is prob 500-600whp. I started with the mind set of just throwing the turbo on and blowing it up just so I could have some fun with it. Yes it didn't sound like a bad idea but then I started ordering top end parts and eventually pulled the motor and one thing led to another the bottom end was all apart and now im looking at machine shops to clean up the block and heads. I guess I wanted to do all of these anyways sense the motor had such high miles and if I was going to spend the money I wanted it to last longer with all the work I put into it. So far I have BTR Truck Norris cam, .560" LS6 Beehive Valve spring and push rod kit, LS9 Head-gaskets, Trunnion upgrade kit for rockers, ARP Head bolt kit, LS7 Lifter and trays, Cam shaft retainer plate, MSD Wires and new plugs for maintenance before the build. Before the build I put a Walbro 450 fuel pump with 8an supply and 6an return lines with E85 compatibility eventually. I guess as far as everything else im just winging it tbh. I know I want to get the block and heads hot tanked, re-surfaced and hooned also to just make sure the block is good to go before I spend all the money. While I have the bottom end all apart ill change out the cam bearings, main bearing, and new piston rings. The only thing I am wondering is if I should switch the rods and pistons to gen 4 being a better oem part. Anything helps from anyone I appreciate any feed back with concerns or any more questions. Ill post some pics below to show what all ive done so far and to follow the build thread. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New to the 5.3 game.