Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Clapped out 98'

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clapped out 98'

back in the car game after 10 year break (owned an 81z28 and 01z28 in the past) Picked up this ticking time bomb 98z28 with a cam and some other mods lol. Coolant temp sensor light on, (but it's not over heating) backfiring intermittently, and massively leaking transmission fluid lol. thing is a mess but every time I look at it or turn it on I smile. I got a good deal on it. It's not my daily driver. Plan is to fix the little problems so it's drivable and then slowly start upgrading parts starting with suspension.

Any recommendations for affordable tuners/shops I can take it to in the DFW area?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4608.MOV (9.85 MB, 7 views)
Old 07-09-2022, 09:46 PM
Teching In

First thing I'm going to do is chop off those donkey d!

Old 07-09-2022, 11:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

It may have its issues but it's definitely not clapped out. Good luck with it and have fun!
Old 07-16-2022, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats! Still have my '98 I bought new in June of '98! Is it the coolant temp sensor OR the coolant level sensor? If it's actually the coolant level sensor, just unplug it to get rid of the light. They've been a known issue for years and were actually eliminated after the '98 model. It's near the top of the radiator near the battery. After replacing mine a couple of times and the light coming back on after 6 months or so, I finally just unplugged it and check my coolant level myself from time to time...just like the '99-'02 guys have to do...
If it's the temp sensor, that's also a quick, cheap, and easy swap. It's on the driver's side at the front of the block, to the left of cylinder #1...
The following users liked this post:
dirtycleansound (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
Congrats! Still have my '98 I bought new in June of '98! Is it the coolant temp sensor OR the coolant level sensor? If it's actually the coolant level sensor, just unplug it to get rid of the light. They've been a known issue for years and were actually eliminated after the '98 model. It's near the top of the radiator near the battery. After replacing mine a couple of times and the light coming back on after 6 months or so, I finally just unplugged it and check my coolant level myself from time to time...just like the '99-'02 guys have to do...
If it's the temp sensor, that's also a quick, cheap, and easy swap. It's on the driver's side at the front of the block, to the left of cylinder #1...

dude that’s awesome that you still have it! What mods have you done to get it into the 12s? I had an 01 z28 about 12 years ago but had to move overseas couldn’t keep it. Ended up given it away for like $2500 ha

now that I I’m looking I think it is the coolant level light. I’ll manually check the coolant level tomorrow. Guy I got it from said he replaced the coolant temp gauge so I guess that also confirms it’s not the temp.

today was my first time wrenching on it. Replaced the tranny oil pan gasket as it had a massive leak and was missing two bolts. Now still running rough needs a tube for sure and who knows what else haha. Let the fun begging…
Old 07-30-2022, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtycleansound
dude that’s awesome that you still have it! What mods have you done to get it into the 12s?
There are some guys that could get into the 12's bone stock back in the day...I just wasn't one of them. Best I could do on my stock ls1 was a 13.4 @ 106. The original ls1 is sitting on a stand in my garage and I replaced it with a new '04 LS6 longblock in '04 and that got me in the 12's easily. Keeping the car has been easy! It was my dream car in college and then once I was out a couple of years, I bought it new. I haven't ever really had a dream car since...until lately. I'm in love with the new Corvette. It's the 1st car I've really wanted since I bought my Z28. If I sold the '98 Z, I could go ahead and order my C8 now, but I want both, so I'm just going to hold off and save another year before I order a C8.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like a clean Fbody, good luck w/ it

Quick Reply: Clapped out 98'