Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New... sort of

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New... sort of

Well, My name is Peter, and I am currently going to school for Mechanical Engineering. I don't own an LS1, but my parents have a 2001 Maroon Z28 which is how the LS1 bug has bitten me.

I had a 1978 Monte Carlo which was my baby and I constantly worked on fixing her up untill the engine blew and was forced to sell her to fund my college. My car right now (don't laugh) is a 1971 Volkswagen SuperBeetle convertable. It was my grandpa's but he gave it to my dad and I about 4 years ago to restore, which my dad and I have been doing ever since. I have mainly been lurking and reading posts to gather information.

My ex 1978 Monte Carlo:

My summer car, a 1971 SB:

My Mom's 2001 Z28:

Old 05-07-2005, 07:48 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

welcome welcome. that was a nice MC!! Enjoy the forum.

Brad
Old 05-09-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

welcome to da site.... what caused the MC motor to go out.....????
Old 05-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Well she had a bad case of blow by when I purchased her, so about every 700-1200 miles I had to replace the air filter and crank case breather. My best guess is this... over the winter when I was replaceing the filter and breather outside at a gas station (with no gloves on and a wisconsin wind chill) I didn't connect the crank case breather hose fully. I can only assume it fell off after a couple of miles and my engine internals were indirectly exposed to the elements. Around spring time my car started to knock like none other, so seeing that I had around 2,700 miles since my last oil change I decided to start with that. When I changed the oil, it was the nastiest oil I had ever seen (which is when I gave my engine a good look over and noticed the disconnected hose).

Now don't everyone make fun of me for this, I was alot less expirenced at the time and have been kicking myself for it ever since.

I changed the oil and the knocking continued so I assumed it was the timing chain. Brought my dad out there and he agreed and told me to drive it untill the weekend when we would take apart the frount end and fix it. Well as probably all you know, I spun a bearing and later that day I threw a rod.

Now my summer projects consist of fixing up my bros 1981 Monte Carlo (he rear ended another car), restoring my grandpa's (now my dad's) 1931 Model A fordor sedan, swaping heads and adding headers to my dad's 1964 Impala SS, and whatever basic maintance needed to keep the cars running.

If you guys would like more pictures of my families project cars I can easily post them up, otherwise I'd feel like I was just showing off cars (most of which are not LS1 powered).

Other then that, I would like to say that even though I rarly post, I very much enjoy comming on, reading through threads, and learning more about cars.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome here, enjoy.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Location: In between the green fields and dusty roads of Illinois.

What's up Captain!