Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Camaro Enthusiast from Germany

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Camaro Enthusiast from Germany

Hello everybody...

I'm living in germany and I am a car enthusiast...

I do have two fun cars, a BMW Z4 and a 99' Chevy Camaro Z28.
I call them "Beauty and the Beast"... Guess what is what...

Well, the BMW is fast, it is smooth, revs like a gas turbine, it is nearly perfect...

The Camaro is a little bit different... Every time I turn the key and start the engine it makes a different noise... A mixture of a little bit of piston slap, belt sqeaking, vacuum pump noise... the plastic interieur is groaning...
But when the beast is awake and the engines oil is warm... Beware!
This piece of american steel... Is it alive? Does it have a soul?

One thing is sure: One day the BMW will go... The Camaro will stay!

------

I'm reading here for a long time and I want to say thank you for all the good tips I found here! This is a great place!

Holger
Old 12-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Teching In

LOL, you couldn't say it anybetter. They do tend to have a soul, don't they?
Welcome to the board.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Holger my friend. How the hell do you afford the Z in deutchland?I lived there for almost 5 years. Gas, insurance etc.... My wife is from Ansbach and dreams of taking the car over. But it is to loud for the German noise standard. Glad to hear you have the beast over there. I bet there very few running around. How did you get yours?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

@CuNfUzEd

Hi...

I bought my Camaro on December 23th 2001 from a Chevy dealer in Hanau, near Frankfurt.
It's a somehow crazy story... I went to the dealer to make a corvette test drive (but I really didn't wanna buy one, just for fun). When I was there, I saw my beast... It was in a row of 5 new Camaro's, all for over 70.000 Deutsche Mark (44.000,-USD, crazy isn't it?). The label on my one said 40.000 DM.

The dealer explained, it was a car built in 99' and Chevrolet built far more Camaro's for germany (it's a special edition, more quiet, invisible exhaust, other light systems, only 288hp, etc.) than they could sell in Germany and so, there were a lot of cars in stock. Furthermore, they had only 6 days to sell them, because in 2002, the car would become illegal, because of new pollution control law...

- He gave me the key...
- I entered the car...
- Turned the key...

"WHAT AN ENGINE..."

.... climbed out of the car and signed the contract....

You're right, I had to look around for a while for an insurance company, that was willing to accept the beast... but finally I found one...

You're right again... The regular german car inspection is VERY tough... The know everything about usual cars here... AND NOTHING ABOUT CAMAROS!

I had a problem, with the german exhaust (one small exhaust pipe, hidden behind the rear bumper) the car sounded like a 1700kg vacuum cleaner...

So, I bought the original SS-Exhaust and changed them... When I was at the car inspection and they controlled the emissions... The inspector was wondering... "This car is unusually loud... And from my registration paper here, I see, this car should only have one small tail-pipe... but it has two big ones...?"

I was frightened... But he accepted the car! Puuh!

I'm living in Friedberg, near Frankfurt...

Greetings from Germany, Holger

Last edited by Silver99Z28; 12-19-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I NEVER want to live in Germany. This is the most frightening story I have ever read. I feel like I just got a whole Steven King novel shoved into my brain at once.

One. Small. Tailpipe.

A "1700kg vacuum cleaner" he said. Whatever 1700kg is supposed to mean, I don't know (must be a brand name) but I know what vacuum cleaner is and I know my car should sound NOTHING like one.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome, ever take 'er on a top speed run on the Autobahn?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

@Sharpe

1700kg means about same as 3747lbs.

@JerseyLS1TA

Thank you! Yes, I tested the High-Speed-Performance a few times. As you probably know it is legal here. But the stock suspension AND the stock brakes are not designed for that speed (a point for my BMW).

But I'm changing this for the next season... Have bought a few parts from sponsors..
LCA's, SFC's, Poly-Bushings, Corvette-Brake-Brackets, LE1-Sway-Bar, Bilstein-Tuned-Suspension-Kit..... Thank you one again for all the good ideas and reviews I found here!!!!

I also wanted to get rid of the original 16"-Chrome-Wheels but... (Another frightening story for you, Sharpe ) it was impossible to get the Z06-Replicas from the states legally on my car in Germany... The car inspector said... "No way...!"

So I have to admit... I choosed BMW rims, which are legal in Germany, have to do a few tricks to get them on, but it will work... (See the pucture in the attachment).

Holger
Attached Thumbnails Camaro Enthusiast from Germany-nogaro.jpg  
Old 12-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

A picture I made during our rim-try-on
Attached Thumbnails Camaro Enthusiast from Germany-rial_seite_klein.jpg  
Old 12-20-2005, 01:19 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
@Sharpe

1700kg means about same as 3747lbs.

@JerseyLS1TA

Thank you! Yes, I tested the High-Speed-Performance a few times. As you probably know it is legal here. But the stock suspension AND the stock brakes are not designed for that speed (a point for my BMW).

But I'm changing this for the next season... Have bought a few parts from sponsors..
LCA's, SFC's, Poly-Bushings, Corvette-Brake-Brackets, LE1-Sway-Bar, Bilstein-Tuned-Suspension-Kit..... Thank you one again for all the good ideas and reviews I found here!!!!

I also wanted to get rid of the original 16"-Chrome-Wheels but... (Another frightening story for you, Sharpe ) it was impossible to get the Z06-Replicas from the states legally on my car in Germany... The car inspector said... "No way...!"

So I have to admit... I choosed BMW rims, which are legal in Germany, have to do a few tricks to get them on, but it will work... (See the pucture in the attachment).

Holger

Holger I hate to bust your bubble on the Z06 wheels. I bought a new set for my friend in Stuttgart for his 95 TA. They pass every year w/ them on. He has a way of making things authentic if you know what I mean. I buy parts for him all the time. He hooks me up as well and I get to drive exotics during the summer free of charge. Got to love that relationship.
You need to check us out if you haven't done so. We are all over in Germany and we get together at Bitburg for drags, auto X and track runs.
fbodyeurope.org we've been on the web for 6 yrs now. Hope to meet ya this spring.

Silas,
Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

@SRZ

Hi Silas...

I know that it is possible and you can trick the inspectors, if you're clever...

But if you are involved in a heavy accident in germany, the car is ALWAYS inspected by the insurance company's inspector... And if they can find anything that is illegal, they will not pay! And you are in big trouble!

And rims without an official german certificate of "Ultimate load" are illegal here. It's a pity, but most of the beautiful Replica-Wheels do not have such a certificate.

Sorry, For me, this is much to risky...

I heard about Bitburg and fbodyeurope... Very interesting!

Thank you, Holger
(Still living in his bubble... ;-)
Old 12-20-2005, 01:46 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to come on out and join in on the fun! It's cheap too. You just need a helmut and nothing else.

I know what you mean about the law and the consequences if something bad happens. He doesn't race his car or anything so he's ok but there is always the chance of a freak accident. I guess that's why he only drives 8 mos out of the year.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Welcome aboard!
Old 12-20-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Silver99Z28

I was joking.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome!!!!! I miss Germany, was there for 42 months. The guys at F-BodyEurope are a great bunch to hang with. I feel bad for you having to deal with TUV. Congrats on getting the Z in Germany too.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

so what are the differences in your Z compared to the U.S Z's. and do you have any more pic's of your ride.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:59 AM
Staging Lane

@All
Thank you, for your welcome messages!

@black01_WS6
The main differences between the European and the U.S. model of the camaro are (afaik):

- A very restrictive Exhaust system with one tailpipe hidden behind the rear bumper.
It reduces the performance of the engine down to 288hp.
- The 273 rear end was the only one available (auto).
- A electronic height regulation for the head-lights (standard in europe).
- Minor changes to the lights (nfor example no red side marker lights in the rear bumper)
- afaik it was only available with all options as standard (leather, electr. seats, cd changer, 16" chrome wheels, t-tops,...). At least I have never seen another car without all these options.
- Underbody protection and paintet rear axle.
- High speed tyres, for more than 270km/h (~170mph)

I had e few problems with the car at first, until I realized, that it is not good for the beast to drive with more than 100-120mph for a longer time or try to catch the BMW's on windy serpentines in the mountains.

The rearend of my car broke down three times on the first 55.000km. The first two times only the bearings and axles were replaced, at 55tkm the whole rearend was replaced with a new one, b/c of overheating during serpentine driving in the Alps (St.Gotthard) even the axle housing was warped (at least they told me this..).

The rest ist.... Pure fun!

Holger
Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the info. Do you have any pics of your rida as A couple of buddies didn't believe me when I said that there were changes for other countries.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

HELLO FROM THE STATES
Old 12-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

@black01_ws6

Here are some pictures... As you can see, the rear bumper is different, to accept the bigger german license-plate.

Also the taillights should be different and the red side marker lights are missing.
Do your cars have the yellow turning lights in the front fender?

Compared to the Z28 of an american soldier, here in Germany (he had the US-Version) also the side mirrors of the European version are bigger.

Sorry, I do not have pictures of the Headlight adjustment system and controller and the original tailpipe, hidden behind the bumper (I replaced it very soon with the US-Camaro-SS-Exhaust).

Holger

P.S.: Beauty and the Beast... My suspension parts and my little assistents... ;-))
Attached Thumbnails Camaro Enthusiast from Germany-04180004_small.jpg   Camaro Enthusiast from Germany-04180005_small.jpg   Camaro Enthusiast from Germany-rear_small.jpg   Camaro Enthusiast from Germany-rear_small.jpg   Camaro Enthusiast from Germany-beautybeast_small.jpg