Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Guy On The Block

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy On The Block

Hey, I'm Josh from Scottsdale AZ. I just bought a '94 LT1 Camaro Z/28 so I'm quite new to the F-Body gang, and even the whole small block EFI tuning crowd for that matter. I had originally planned on going with a simple and cost effective way about upgrading this car, and I assured myself that (unlike my last project car, the Dart) I would save money and go about my work slowly. Reading through the overwhelming assortment of parts available for F-Bodies, though, my attitude has changed slightly.

Originally, I intended to go solely with the car's breathing (intake, MAP upgrade, 52mm TB, a cat-back, and headers) to make for a good sounding, strong running car on a "budget" that I would establish for myself. Then, as usual, I got to thinking, "well cams are fairly cheap and relatively easy to install" and that quickly evolved into "new heads and rocker arms, springs, etc. are needed if I do that." So basically I'm back to square 1, just the way I was with my other car (which I eventually had 35 grand into before I realized that I was flat broke). I had intended to limit myself to less than two grand originally, but I am weak, and when I first laid eyes on the LT4 kit my budget was blown to hell already.

I'm leaning twoards a conversion to LT4 right now, with Pacesetter headers, GMMG catback, a B&M short throw kit coulped with a CAGS elimination unit, ST lowering springs, Moroso CAI, GMS MAP, and a BBK twin 52 or 58mm throttle body, among other components, on top of that. I also need to put some reasonable rims on it (the stock equipment isnt cutting it). I'll think of more as I go I'm sure.

More important is the fact that its a daily driver. Considering my other car, the Dart, gets less than 2 mpg, is louder than the Hiroshima bomb, corners like an 18-wheeler, and is only smog-legal when I bolt two cats back-to-back per pipe (yes, I had to clamp a 3" steel irrigation elbow, 2' of PepBoys flex pipe, and four catalytic converters on it to "pass" emissions but in fact I ended up just being exempted ) she doesnt make for much of an economy car. That leaves the Camaro, which may be trailered before I'm done with it, too.

I'd appriciate some feedback. Lemme know what you think of my intended setup!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yo, welcome, I'm new to the board too. A 94 with an LT4 conversion sounds badass. I dont see why that cant be a daily driver that is also stupid fast. From everything I read these powerplants can be pretty heavily modified and still be streetable. good luck with your project!
Old 02-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the positive feedback. Everywhere else on this site I've posted I get flamed to hell and back on how "ineffective, non-cost-efficient and generally stupid" my plan was. They all say an LT4 setup on a 350ci is "pointless" and "hopelessly underthought".

Even if ported LT1 heads, high lift cam, and a bored intake is cheaper and just as advantageous as a complete LT4 conversion, imagine what a ported LT4 head & manifold with a more agressive cam is capable of (plus all the bolt-ons). Besides, knowing me, it wont be long until I have a forged rotating assembly in there and I am running with the stroker guys anyways...