General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need a little help to point me in the right direction about where to find a donor car

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help to point me in the right direction about where to find a donor car

I am wanting to start working on my 92 rs this winter. I want to strip it and do body work along with suspension upgrades etc. I plan to redo a lot on it. I have searched and searched for a wrecked 98 to 02 camaro or firebird for a donor car for drivetrain and interior.

I am not really having much luck looking at online auctions or craigslist or ebay for what I want. Has anyone have any input to share on where I can find a salvaged car for a decent price. I dont really care about what shape the car is in body wise. I just want mostly drivetrain ie ls1 and 6 speed and rearend. I'm not picky and I am patient. If its something i like or want and has an automatic in it that is fine etc.

I dont care about mileage on engine etc as I plan to tear it down and have it checked at machine shop and build it from ground up etc. I am just thinking a donor car would be best and possibly cheapest route for me, or am I wrong thinking that?

I have looked online searching salvage auctions but a lot of sites you have to register for and have a deposit or a anual fee. Any other sites I may have missed? I dont have problem paying a little etc in order to find a good "buy". Also another issue I have seen is I'm in KY obviously and some states dont sell to public buyers.

Also what drivetrains I have found people want like 4 to 5 thousand for the setup. I figured I could buy a decent wrecked car for less than that depending.

Thanks guys and gals. Any help is greatly appreciative

Jess
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck I was looking for the same thing a few years back to turn my 95 v6 into a ls1 v8 I never got very far so I hope you have better luck. you might try talking to a small used car lot. maybe they can find one at action for you. I'm sure they'll want to make a profit from the deal, but it might still be a good deal for you.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep your eyes open in the classified section on here. you should be able to catch one sooner or later
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks guys.