LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Schwanke Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Schwanke Engines

I wanted to thank Mark at Schwanke for the excellent iron stroker short block that he delivered and thank him as well for his speed in getting this to us.

In the past, I have had many customers that have ordered shortblocks, and NONE of them get them in the amounts of time promised. If you are told 4 weeks, it's 6, if you are told 6 weeks, sometimes it's 6 months. Initially, Schwanke told us about a week to get their 415" iron stroker. The customer was very excited, particularly at the attractive cost, so he ordered. Just a few days later, Mark contacted me and told there would be a delay as they were waiting on an order they had made with a manufacturer previously. Of ALL of the other builders used, not ONE of them has EVER contacted myself, the owners, or any involved parties. The norm is to be left in the dark until you call 30 times, and then you get the "2 weeks" reply. The extra week did not delay the car; the owner decided to change out the clutch, headers, and exhaust at the same time.

The engine was delivered to and installed by Performance Auto Sport here in Richmond (that shop who's dyno I use). The customer elected to re-use some parts from the previous engine such as heads and cam. They were not overly ideal for the setup in my opinion, but the results were a torque monster. The engine made about 470rwhp but made 495rwtq and honestly drives like stock. Everyone says that, but I mean it. The car be driven through the parking lot in first gear at 900-1000 RPMs (six-speed; it's a Z06) without any buck or funny business. It made over 400 ft.lbs from 2,000 RPMs to 6,000 RPMs with the peak very close to 500 ft/lbs. It's not a revver, but it is insanely fun to drive and deceptively fast.

The engine is very quiet, the first breakin oil changed looked good, overall it was a very positive thing. Every time I called or emailed Mark, on the occasion that I could not get him, he called right back and promptly returned emails. Thanks Mark.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome to hear. I know schwanke has taken some beatings lately from a customer from long ago or something. Its nice to hear they are taking care of business and doing things right.

We do most of our own engine building in house, but if I ever need something we cant handle in house, or something they can get me in a hurry, I may just have to give them a shout.

Great job Schwanke.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a followup call with the car owner. He is still terribly tickled with the car, it's power, and the way it drives. He is impressed with how quiet the engine is (not the exhaust!) as well. He is mostly mad that the roads have been wet here for nearly a month!

Quick Reply: Schwanke Engines