LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

AES Racing engines bad experience.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AES Racing engines bad experience.

i had a 408 turbo setup that had a bunch of passes on it so on this refresh i needed a 4.040 piston due to excessive skirt clearance. so i saw that AES had a turbo CP piston that was 4.040, it is used in their 390cu.

So i contact AES, talk about what im doing and they say go with the CP 4.040 piston, reuse my 6.125 rods and get the callies forged 3.825 crank. i asked if that crank was equal to my eagle 4340. He said yes, later i found out its a 5140 alloy and not 4340, but it will be fine. I said great the crank was $570.00, pistons were $670.00 with rings. Also it included balancing.

So i notify them that im going to try to sell my crank quick and diamond 4.030 pistons and id call him back. I sell them that day and call back later that week to order the callies forged crank. Here is where it goes south.

I order and pay for the crank, I ask when it should ship and i was told the crank was on back order. I said no problem whens it expected to be instock. he says, no idea, few months. So now im like why wouldnt you of told me this before i sold my old crank.

next offer, frasier says i can upgrade you to the K1 crank, and it would drop ship. ok, i paid the exta money. Got my parts, I look at the crank and its not balanced, machine shop says its out 175grams.

I call up and ask about the balancing and am told, the k1 cranks dont come balanced. Wow, thats great, thanks for the heads up.

Bottom line....AES should of been more up front about what they could deliver. I would think if someone said hey, im going to get the money together to order the crank, they would say, no hurry its on back order. not give me your credit card and by the way....its backordered.

I would not deal with AES again for any engine parts.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris

Before you paid for your parts, I checked with Callies, they stated they had 30 crankshafts in stock. Go to order yours, out of stock. All of a sudden.

When you ordered the crankshaft originally, it was not balanced, you couldn't give me a rod weight. So at no point did it include full balancing for either crankshaft, I stated "I will have them make crankshaft 1800 grams, it would need to be balanced" and you agreed with that.

So my only option was to offer K1 crankshaft, which is 4340 forged crankshaft, I did so at my cost.

If you had contacted me said you had an issue, can you do something, i'm sure I woudl've offered anything possible to make things right.
You called me Friday said "they tell me the crankshaft is out of balance", that was it.

If theirs anything I can do let me know.
Fraser

Last edited by AES Racing; 05-28-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

not that it matters but you told me the 5140 was balanced for the pistons and the compustar rod, also i may need to touch it up a little. it has turned out to be a shitty situation.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

No I said the crankshaft would be rough balanced to 1800 grams. Originally, and it would need to be balanced, touch up, whatever, it still needed to be balanced, and I was specific on that. Compstar rods vary, up to 10 grams per set, each set is a different weight.

If you had come to me said, hey can you help me out on the balancing here, this guy wants to charge me alot of money, that could've been an option. Cause thats really the only issue you have is the cost of balancing?

Last edited by AES Racing; 05-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AES Racing
No I said the crankshaft would be rough balanced to 1800 grams. Originally, and it would need to be balanced, touch up, whatever, it still needed to be balanced, and I was specific on that. Compstar rods vary, up to 10 grams per set, each set is a different weight.

If you had come to me said, hey can you help me out on the balancing here, this guy wants to charge me alot of money, that could've been an option. Cause thats really the only issue you have is the cost of balancing?
well i just wasnt happy getting the run-around. in the end i could of kept my crank and had a pistons made for half of what i spent now. also i was told the crank was balanced and would need to touched up a hair,
Old 05-29-2011, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gennex
also i was told the crank was balanced and would need to touched up a hair,
I stated I would have it balanced to a certain weight (rough balance, few grams over where I expect bobweight), it would need to be finished balanced, you didn't have a rod weight, becomes easier to balance this way (ie you wouldn't have to drill and install heavy metal). Granted yes the K1 crankshaft will need a few holes drilled, couple extra spins on the balancer.

Either crankshaft (callies or K1) would've needed to be balanced by your machinist, true or false?

Quick Reply: AES Racing engines bad experience.