LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Kooks Custom Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011 | 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Kooks Custom Headers

Well after spending $1,300 on a set of kooks headers for my CTS-V and being very happy with fitment and performance I saw no reason not to buy a set of kooks for my ls1 Mustang swap since they make a set exactly for my swap.

I found a set used for a few thousand miles and picked them up to savea few bucks.

After gettign the motor in and being ready to throw the headers in the passenger side fit like a glove. Now enter the most major pain in the butt with the entire ls1 mustang build the drivers side.

The kooks(part number 5512) are 1 3/4" long tubes made specifically for a fox mustang with an ls1 motor and they were engineered with the use of an AJE kmember which i bought brand new and installed. No where at all was it ever stated that the stock steering shaft would not fit. I went to throw the stock shaft int he car and it hit the first primary(majorly) and also the last primary where it connects to the column.

Literally the rag joint is 2 inches too wide to fit no way around it but to buy a new shaft from flaming river or maximum motorsports. I emailed the tech guys at Kooks and this is what happened(my email addresses deleted). Called twice and was put on hold by receptionist for 15 minutes and never got put through. I wound up buying the max motorsports shaft for $220 bucks since i was obviously getting no help from kooks on what to do. Not only that the aftermarket shaft still rubs on the last primary barely. Never again will i suggest Kooks to anyone for any car but i will tell people to NOT buy them to go with a different vendor.

First email at the bottom and work your way up. Pics were resent 5/25.

No sisr I did not get the pictures. Please try and resend them.

Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 2:47 PM
To: George Rumore
Subject: RE: Kooks 5512 Fitment Issues

I was just wondering if you received the last email that I sent with pictures. Looking to get this figured out as soon as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: George Rumore [mailto:GEORGER@KOOKSCUSTOMHEADERS.COM]
Sent: Wed 4/20/2011 8:32 AM
To: Subject: RE: Kooks 5512 Fitment Issues

Allen can you please send us some photos of the problem area so I can assist you in any way possible. The sooner I get the pics the sooner I can get it handled for you. Also plese provede alittle more information. What motor mounts are you using?Thanks

George Rumore

Sales Manager/ Race Relations

1-866-586-Kook

Direct line 704-768-2271

kookscustomheaders.com

45 Years of Racing and Engineering Experience.

Please Follow us on the links below.

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:23 AM
To: Danielle
Subject: Kooks 5512 Fitment Issues

Hi,

I purchased a set of the 5512 headers for the ls1 mustang swap. I am using an AJE kmember and the stock steering rack and shaft. I installed the drivers side header and it is no where close to fitting with the stock steering shaft. The shaft is being obstructed by the primaries so I will either have to have the header modified or dent it up to make it fit. I was under the impression that the 5512 would be bolt in and were created for the use with the aje crossmember. What do you suggest? I have Kooks on my 05 CTS-V and they fit great and I was expecting the same for my mustang.

Thank You,
Old 06-15-2011 | 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allen I see you have made time to post about your situation. Please If you are going to do so please post all the correct information.
There are a few problems with this the first and largest is you purchased product used. How do you know that the product was not damaged or bent. Second you said they had a few thousand miles on them so someone else had them installed on a car. Did you not ask them if there was anything that needed to be changed at the time of install. Here is the remainder of our email conversation. I believe we went above and beyond to try to help you in this situation considering you purchased a used product.

I will address that ASAP. As for the inconvenience I will sell you your next order from us for anything you need at WD. To help offset this issue. I am sorry about that.

George Rumore
1-866-586-Kook
Direct line 704-768-2271
kookscustomheaders.com

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 2:03 PM

Problem is I already solved the problem myself by spending an unnecessary $220 for a smaller steering shaft. I feel it should be put on your website somewhere that the stock one wont work. On ls1tech.com I am not the only one with this problem and no where on kooks.com does it state this. I cant imagine the engine is mounted wrong in any way or the passenger side would not have slid right on perfectly.

Sent: Fri 6/10/2011 7:15 AM
To: Jewell, Allen
Allen I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you may have gone through. I have checked all through my email and still cannot find any pics that you may have sent. Please send some additional pics of the headers in the car and how the motor is mounted in the car so we can get this resolved for you. Thanks

George Rumore
1-866-586-Kook
Direct line 704-768-2271
kookscustomheaders.com

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 1:04 AM

I resent the pictures on 5/25 and I also called twice and was never put through to anyone after being on hold for 15 minutes each time. I am very disappointed in the lack of customer support for a two time customer of your company. I ended up having to spend an extra $220 dollars on an aftermarket steering shaft and it still barely fits rubbing the last primary in one spot.

Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 3:25 PM
To: Jewell, Allen

No sisr I did not get the pictures. Please try and resend them.
Old 06-15-2011 | 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No point in arguing its already done now. I just felt it should be known the issues that I had.

Pm on the way also.

Last edited by itsslow98; 06-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Kooks Custom Headers