LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Texas Seed AFM Delete!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Seed AFM Delete!

Ok first off I would like to say I have spent around $10,000 with texas speed in the past year or so. The parts are great and priced right, get the parts in a timely fashion, but customer service after the sell kinda sucks this is not the first time. I purchased a 5.3 LC9 Dod/Afm delete kit, was told I could use my stock camshaft with the kit, they do them all the time. So I installed the kit, and the engine run terrible. It really wasn't a miss more of a out of balance engine shake. I called and talked to them probably 8-10 times and the said it WILL work. Has to be something I done either the tune or a bad ground, even after I told them the compression on the 4 non dod cyls was 150 psi and the dod cyls was 100 psi. Ok yeah a bad ground will cause that sure... The pushrods had the same preload from non dod cyls to dod cyls at tdc. Called to tell them the fix just a FYI to them and they still say the camshaft didnt fix it. I think I would no my shop has hours killed researching,diag and labor in going back to fix the problem. Then having to explain to the customer why his bill is higher b/c we told him it didnt need a cam and gear. Hope this saves someone the headache of going thru what I went thru.

Josh
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Step back and think about how the camshaft is ground, and how the lifters ride, and why/how the valves open. If you know how they grind the AFM cams, you know the lobes are still in the same location as a non-AFM camshaft, they just use different lobes (and sometimes different centerlines).

So do tell us all why the cam makes any difference. I found 2 local truck guys here that did the same DOD delete kit, are running the stock cam, and have no problems.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Additionally, as you know, AFM never deactivated cylinders at idle. So if there was a problem or reason you had less compression, it would have a) done that before the swap or b) been because of improper pushrod length or install.

Looks at the items in the DOD Delete kit and think of what each one does. The only ones that have anything to do with it are lifters and valley cover....You can search every forum out there and people turn off DOD and just keep stock lifters and all in there. So in those cases the valley is not active (not deactivating cylinders) and the lifters are staying pumped up (same as an LS7 lifter). It also works fine, you just have less lift than you'd like, and people have no problems.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sit down and read this Matt! https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-kit-help.html In time you will see I'm right. Yes it will work but if you know how a engine is suppose to run you would know it will not work properly.

Quick Reply: Texas Seed AFM Delete!