LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed

Thought I'd tell everyone about my fine experience with Eps. It all starts with a pat g spec'd cam I purchased from eps ... I know I hear alot of people say it takes them over a month to get there cam, well I'm one of them, which I think is quite ridiculous but I won't hold that against him. It's just irritating having to wait that long! Next up turbo... So I install a kb racing turbo kit on my truck then I send my ecu off to him to get a base tune installed,which takes a month if not longer to get back. To make a long story short ends up installing a 05 truck tune instead of an 06 which is completely different. Needless to say that ecu gets fried! I now get to search for one from the junkyard. After I find that I go by O O O O'Reilly to get my stock tune re programmed back into it. I think I spent 130-140 to get a ecu back going in my truck but he gives me another ecu in the end...hopefully it works. After getting the truck up and going again I trailer it over to get it dyno tuned. After he gets it on the dyno and makes a few pulls, it ends up over boosting due to a tore diaphragm in the waste gate. I sent the waste gate off to be fixed, get it back on, take it back to get re-tuned... same **** happens and it over boosts again. After I put a bigger waste gate on it finally checks up and now back to the dyno for the 3rd time where I run out of fuel pressure.I then install a walbro 255 and head back to the dyno for the 4th time. I have an appointment for 1030 and expect to be on the dyno nlt 1100-1130 but NO Its now 1230-1:00 and he finally gets it on. He makes about 7 pulls in almost 4 hrs and calls it a day and i'm done by 4:30 yay! On my way home I stab it a few times. It is so rich it backfires! Get to the track the next day to make a few passes.1st pass running meth as tuned I stall it up at the line and let off and it fell slap,when I say slap on its face. It spit sputtered and backfired and i'm sure i'm being laughed at with a 2.5712 60 ft and et of 13.4827@108.99 afr is pegged @ 10.0 which i'm sure its richer than 10.0 seeing that's all it goes to, quite disappointed on to the 2nd pass decided to turn meth off and keep an eye on af gauge. I left on vac this time and mustered a 2.6754 60 ft 13.4619@110.51 with the afr at a 10.6 all the way down. Now I got the ******* red *** seeing that I ran a 13.0142@ 105.66 with a 2.1492 before he tuned it this past time. So now after spending ruffly $800 with eps that I should have just spent on the software tuning it myself and easily could have had the same results tuning it. I now have a 500 hp truck that runs like ****! Proof is in the before and after times. His suggestions to fix this is I could either drive 2 hrs back over to him and he could fix it or I could mail my ecu back to him and my truck be down for another month. I think I'll pass all together seeing it should have been done right the first time... RANT OVER!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Matt,

You seemed like more of a standup guy than to get on an internet forum and play the blame game. If you had a problem with ANYTHING I had done for you why didn't you talk to me first instead of getting on here to bash me?

A few points here:

1. You had NUMEROUS problems with your build relating to your turbo kit, wastegate, fuel pump, and intercooler. You said so in your post here. I have tried to work with you every step of the way to guide you in resolving said issues. I guess since I tuned your truck that all of those problems are my fault now?

2. Your mechanical issues had NOTHING to do with any parts I sold you or any tuning I did for you.

3. Yes I did fry your computer. I readily admit that, because I did put a 2005 EFI Live Custom O.S. in your computer so that I could do a true 2 BAR S.D. tune. Honestly I didn't know that there would be a conflict with the 2005 O.S. and the TAC Module in your 2006 truck.

The bottom line is that I did replace the computer to make up for my mistake, so at this point I'm not sure why you are complaining.

4. You called me Monday saying your truck was running bad and sputtering. You asked me what was up. At that point I said I didn't know, because not that much was changed in the tune. I also said that I would follow up with you and look at the tunes to see if there was anything I thought MIGHT be a problem with what I did.

The only thing I saw was that I had the power enrichment fuel coming in faster than on the original tune. When I was punching the truck on the dyno it was initially going lean, so I did this to cover that problem. The truck NEVER coughed or sputtered or did anything wrong. I will also be glad to post where your AFR was.

I never said positively that what I did with the power enrichment was the problem, just that it was the only thing that I could see that might be an issue. Once again, I offered to put it back where it was to see if that was the problem.

At this point I'm not sure what else to say. The way I see it is that you aren't happy with where your truck is and want to blame me...If you had a problem with me or anything I did you should have at least had the common decency to talk to me first before coming on here and trying to ruin my name.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Geoff
Matt,

You seemed like more of a standup guy than to get on an internet forum and play the blame game. If you had a problem with ANYTHING I had done for you why didn't you talk to me first instead of getting on here to bash me?

A few points here:

1. You had NUMEROUS problems with your build relating to your turbo kit, wastegate, fuel pump, and intercooler. You said so in your post here. I have tried to work with you every step of the way to guide you in resolving said issues. I guess since I tuned your truck that all of those problems are my fault now?

Never said they were your problem just pointed out my issues I had with my truck and how many times I've seen you...

2. Your mechanical issues had NOTHING to do with any parts I sold you or any tuning I did for you.

Never said they did.

3. Yes I did fry your computer. I readily admit that, because I did put a 2005 EFI Live Custom O.S. in your computer so that I could do a true 2 BAR S.D. tune. Honestly I didn't know that there would be a conflict with the 2005 O.S. and the TAC Module in your 2006 truck.

The bottom line is that I did replace the computer to make up for my mistake, so at this point I'm not sure why you are complaining.

As I put my trust in someone with 15 yrs experience to get the job right the first time I ended up with a frye'd ecu.So there's my complaint. But yes I also said you did provide me with another ecu.

4. You called me Monday saying your truck was running bad and sputtering. You asked me what was up. At that point I said I didn't know, because not that much was changed in the tune. I also said that I would follow up with you and look at the tunes to see if there was anything I thought MIGHT be a problem with what I did.

The only thing I saw was that I had the power enrichment fuel coming in faster than on the original tune. When I was punching the truck on the dyno it was initially going lean, so I did this to cover that problem. The truck NEVER coughed or sputtered or did anything wrong. I will also be glad to post where your AFR was.

I never said positively that what I did with the power enrichment was the problem, just that it was the only thing that I could see that might be an issue. Once again, I offered to put it back where it was to see if that was the problem.

This is why vechical's should b tested on the street after they are put on the dyno to make sure the drivability is fine and has no problems.

At this point I'm not sure what else to say. The way I see it is that you aren't happy with where your truck is and want to blame me...If you had a problem with me or anything I did you should have at least had the common decency to talk to me first before coming on here and trying to ruin my name.

All I can say is I am highly Disappointed and that for some reason you think I want to be at your shop all day. When you schedule your customer an appointment for a certain time such as 1030 they do not want to be waiting on you for you to get done with other customers things that should have been done before or after that customer has left for the day its rude disrespectful and down right unprofessional.
I am definitely not happy with the tune especially seeing it runs almost a half of a second slower now so the way I see it you are to blame or I guess I could blame myself for bringing it to you. Common decency.. we talked about it and it was I could either drive 2 hrs back 2 u witch I'm over driving or I could mail it back to u and my truck can be down for god knows how long. As far as me coming on here and bashing you as most people don't realize they do it to themselves as you would call it "chicken ****" this is a sponsor feedback meaning not all of its going to be good there are some bad and as I've had a most unpleasant experience I feel others should know. I have nothing more to say.
Attached Thumbnails Disappointed-before-retune.jpg   Disappointed-after-retune.jpg   Disappointed-dyno-chart.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

At this point it doesn't matter. I am a one person operation and as such I can only do so much. I'm not going to quit answering the phone just because you are in my shop.

I told you I would adjust the power enrichment settings and turn the computer around the same day when you asked me Monday. If I made a mistake (which at this point isn't for sure) I will stand behind my work and fix it. You said "it should have been done right the first time". My question to you is how was it supposed to be right the first time when you brought me a truck with LOTS of mechanical issues.

I didn't sell you the turbo kit. I didn't sell you the wastegate. YOU were the one who decided to use the stock fuel pump because internet wisdom said 'it was good enough'. You were the one using a cheap e-bay intercooler that didn't cool the charge air down to acceptable levels...

So PLEASE tell me how I was supposed to make it right the first time when I was tuning what you brought me?????

You may still have another problem with your truck, but you would rather get on here and talk trash rather than than figure out what is going on with your truck.

Last edited by Geoff; 11-28-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but speaking as a fellow tuner, there are times when a poor or mis-matched selection of parts makes it impossible for even the most skilled tuner to fix. Vacuum leaks, bad sensors, faulty throttle bodies, inadequate fuel systems, worn out plugs & wires...you name it...if a vehicle is not in perfect mechanical shape, it is very difficult to a tuner to make the calibration perfect. Not saying this is the case here, but the owner of the vehicle must always take responsibility of supplying a car free of mechanical defects or issues before he takes it in to be tuned. The tuner just perfects the calibration. He can't correct for faulty parts (if this were the case here).

I give Geoff the benefit of a doubt in this case because he's been laptop tuning longer than most people and is highly respected in tuning circles.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Team Geoff:

At this point we're going to have to agree to disagree. If you've read my initial post correctly, I indicated that my truck had some mechanical issues that were not related to Geoff and his tune. My complaints with Geoff aren't related to issues that were not under his control. I live approximately 2.5 hours away from Geoff's shop so having it dropped off isn't really an option for me as I can't expect someone to take another day off from work and drive that far. In addition, I wanted to be part of the tuning process. I don't mind waiting a reasonable amount of time. I don't consider a two hour wait to be reasonable. My time is just as valuable as Geoff's and making a customer wait for that long is insulting and unprofessional. If Geoff's been doing this for so long, you would think that he would've been able to build up his business to a point where he doesn't have to play receptionist, janitor, tuner, etc. If there are things that are imperative to getting a good tune, then maybe those items should be discussed with a customer before they bother to bring their vehicle in to be worked on. I doubt that there are very few vehicles on the road that are in “perfect mechanical condition”.

Quick Reply: Disappointed