LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Texas Speed and Performance and Lunati

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Texas Speed and Performance and Lunati

Here's my story. Latter part of last year I started shopping around for a new motor for my camaro. TSP seemed to have the best price on shortblocks around and had quite a following. So I called Aaron up at TSP and told him what I was looking for. We decided on a 408 with Weiseco pistons and Lunati crank. Soon after the shortblock arrived we begin assembling it which took a few months because of the amount of spare time we had. Around December I took it to Futral to have it dyno tuned. As it got up in the rpm's it started to cut out. We begin sorting out what problem it could be and our last resort was maybe a bent reluctor wheel or the wrong one. This meant tearing into the motor to see. What Futral found was that the reluctor wheel was the right one and it was not bent but the tolorances on the crank were off.
I then called TSP and told them the issue we found and they said they would send out another crankshaft. When Futral recieved the crank they found that this crank was off also. I called TSP again and was told that I would have to call Lunati because it would be a warrenty issue. I didn't purchase this from Lunati I purchased it from TSP???? So then I called Lunati and they more or less accused me of trying to pull a scam. They eventually were in contact with Futral and TSP and told me that someone would be in contact with me, but they never did.
In the meantime my car was still down and taking up Futrals space, so I asked Charley what could we do. Futral ended up taking the crank out and shimming it, balanced it, and put it back together and put it on the dyno. It ran like a champ.
I called Aaron back up at TSP and told him what we did and that they should pay me back for having to pay Futral to fix this problem. He told me he would get back with me . After trying to reach him on the phone numerous times I recieved an email from him there were procedures they would follow.
That was the last I have heard from TSP and Lunati.

Bottom line. I should be reinmbursed for the money I had to spend for Futral to pull the motor,tear it apart and put the shortblock back together. Thats what I paid TSP for. Second Lunati"s products are crap and there customer service is worse. I was TSP's customer not Lunati, they should make it right. I had planned on purchasing my top end parts from TSP but I will not do business with them as they do not stand behind what they sell. Customers should stay away from Lunati cranks as I have heard other people having problems with them. Also you should consider Futral as they fixed someone elses mess and were very helpful and patient. A day or so after I had my car back, Futral contacted me to see how the car was running which is more then I can say for TSP doing.

Daryl
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell Daryl.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gimme a few to sort some emails and I will share a TSP horror story.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First email...

Fromjohn@Texas-Speed

Toran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com

Randy,

Is there anyway we can get some pictures of this? I will check with our catalytic converter company on warranty and get back to you. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks

John J

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:41 PM

To: John Janz

Subject: Fwd: catted y pipe for 2001 trans am

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Subject: catted y pipe for 2001 trans am
To: "sales@texas-speed.com" <sales@texas-speed.com>

Name=Randy
EMail=ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com
Subject=catted y pipe for 2001 trans am
S1=Please advise on the warranties for your catted y-pipes. I purchased mine through speed engineering. I am not too sure of TSP's warranties on their Y-Pipes. You might give them a call. If you need any invoice information just let me know. Thanks Sean -----Original Message----- From: Randy [mailto:ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:59 PM To: Online Sales Subject: Email from Speed Engineering On 011610 I ordered the tsp catted 3 inch y pipe due to the qtp dual exhaust cutout not available at the time. Well as I stated on the review of the tsp catted y pipe it went out and am inquiring on the warranty for the y pipe. I had to put a straight pipe for now. The inside of the left cat broke into two pieces and was clanging on the y portion of the y pipe out of the left cat housing. Please advise as I am very disappointed because the car sounded good before and now sounds raspy on the left side atleast. Thank you, Randy
B1=Submit

Last edited by Randolph Ziskey; 06-20-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fromjohn@Texas-Speed

Torandy alvarez

Randy,

I will be completely honest and say I have no idea what you are talking about here. Being that this is almost from a year ago I am certain I must have deleted it. I apologize, it seems I have completely dropped the ball. Can you go through the situation for me and I can see what I can do for you.

Thanks

John J

Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 2:00 PM

To: john@texas-speed.com

Subject: Re: Pictures requested.

Man I completely forgot to check back with you. I hadn't heard anything from you since this day. Last you were gonna check with magnaflow on the cat. I still have the cat. Please let me know.

Randy

To: "john@texas-speed.com" <john@texas-speed.com>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 12:42 PM
Subject: Pictures requested.

Here are the two I took that day. One is before they took the cat off and the.other is the inside of the cat that was stuck on the y portion if the y pipe.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Show Details

Fromrandy alvarez

Tojohn@texas-speed.com

Correct. Purchased the catted y pipe through speed eng. Put the y pipe on and the inside of the left cat was clanging around making a lot of noise. To prevent further damage to the exhaust system it was taken off and I contacted you when I sent you the first email. I took pics of the cat when they took it off at the muffler shop. The right cat is still functional to date. The vehicle has if not 30-31k miles on it. The vehicle is babyed and not driven everyday. The inside of the cat is broken and the cat is just a shell. I still have it. I'm no technician or mechanic by any means but I don't think this cat can be put back together if the inside is broken apart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: randy alvarez <ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com>;
Sent: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 8:34:51 PM

Randy,

Nothing is coming through on these emails. Basically you got a catted y-pipe through speed engineering from us and the cat broke pretty quick? Is the cat just completely separate from the y-pipe now? How many miles were on it when it broke? I might just try and get the cat back here and see what I can do. Let me know some of this info and ill work on getting a better answer for you.

Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:06 PM

Subject: Fw: Re: Pictures requested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com <ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com>;
Sent: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 5:03:46 PM

Just touching base with you making sure you got my emails.

To: john@texas-speed.com <john@texas-speed.com>;
Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 10:58:38 PM

Hey John,
I sent you the original message from my phone from my other email randamousprime@gmail.com.
I had to search for the original email. Thanks
Randy

Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 7:08:51 PM

Randy,

I will be completely honest and say I have no idea what you are talking about here. Being that this is almost from a year ago I am certain I must have deleted it. I apologize, it seems I have completely dropped the ball. Can you go through the situation for me and I can see what I can do for you.

Thanks

John J

Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 2:00 PM

Man I completely forgot to check back with you. I hadn't heard anything from you since this day. Last you were gonna check with magnaflow on the cat. I still have the cat. Please let me know.

Randy

To: "john@texas-speed.com" <john@texas-speed.com>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 12:42 PM
Subject: Pictures requested.

Here are the two I took that day. One is before they took the cat off and the.other is the inside of the cat that was stuck on the y portion if the y pipe.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fromjohn@Texas-Speed

Torandy alvarez

Randy,

I was actually about to ask if you had received the tag because I hadn’t seen the converter. I will get with my shipping manager and see what is going on, I apologize for the hold up.

Thanks

John J

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 2:12 PM

To: mailto:john@texas-speed.com

Hey John,

I have not received the ups shipping tag through the email.

Thanks,

Randy

To: randy alvarez <ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:25 AM

Randy,

The only thing I can think to do at this point is to get the cat back here and I am going to have to try to send it off for inspection for possible warranty. Would it be alright If I sent you a UPS shipping tag through the email so you can put it on the box to get it back to me?

Thanks

John J

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:59 PM

Correct. Purchased the catted y pipe through speed eng. Put the y pipe on and the inside of the left cat was clanging around making a lot of noise. To prevent further damage to the exhaust system it was taken off and I contacted you when I sent you the first email. I took pics of the cat when they took it off at the muffler shop. The right cat is still functional to date. The vehicle has if not 30-31k miles on it. The vehicle is babyed and not driven everyday. The inside of the cat is broken and the cat is just a shell. I still have it. I'm no technician or mechanic by any means but I don't think this cat can be put back together if the inside is broken apart.

Sent: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 8:34:51 PM

Randy,

Nothing is coming through on these emails. Basically you got a catted y-pipe through speed engineering from us and the cat broke pretty quick? Is the cat just completely separate from the y-pipe now? How many miles were on it when it broke? I might just try and get the cat back here and see what I can do. Let me know some of this info and ill work on getting a better answer for you.

Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:06 PM

Subject: Fw: Re: Pictures requested.

To: ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com <ran_ws6_ls1@yahoo.com>;
Sent: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 5:03:46 PM

Just touching base with you making sure you got my emails.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fromjohn@Texas-Speed

Torandy alvarez

Randy,

I apologize, yesterday was pretty crazy. The tag is supposed to be to your email this afternoon.

Thanks

John J

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 2:12 PM

To: mailto:john@texas-speed.com

Hey John,

I have not received the ups shipping tag through the email.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what I just sent through the contact section on your website.

I am writing with a little frustration. On 011610 I ordered a tsp catted 3 inch y pipe. On 092111 I contacted speed engineering through whom I purchased the y pipe because the left cat broke into two pieces and was clanging on the y portion of the y pipe. I needed to remove the left cat and place a straight pipe so there would be no damage to the vehicle and exhaust. On 092311 Sean from speed engineering told me to contact you because he was not sure on the warranties. Also on 092311 I contacted TSP and on 092511 John J requested some pictures of the left catted y. I provided the two pictures I took that day they removed the left cat. On 090712 I contacted John J again because I forgot to check back with him and time wen by almost a year. Last I heard from John J on 092512 and there was supposed to be a tag to send in the cat to be inspected. Well 041613 I finally got tired of waiting and waiting of having a one catted y pipe on my Trans Am I ordered the 25-tspssy off road y pipe. I did a lot of research and a lot of other ls1 and fbody owners recommended it as it did look awesome. On 042013 I took my time installing it as it was recommended by others who had this y pipe. Although there was some negativity in one of the forums due to tsp headers and the y pipe I in good faith believed in your product. Well the driver side went in perfect but on the passenger side the long piece that connects to the header and the y portion of the y pipe is too long. When I placed the y on the ground I noticed that the driver and passenger side of the y pipe were almost the same length. Being patient we attempted but the passenger side will not fit the y. I will not measure up. I got second and third opinions as I thought it was just me and there is no way the passenger side will fit as it is too long and is a couple of inches off. When the passenger side of the y is flipped in reverse it seems like it fits but the lip is backwards. I guess typing it out might not make sense. I took pictures. I will fax all the emails first thing Monday. As I believe if it is not in order it will cause a headache and confusion. I was left hanging twice already by tsp. Please have someone call me on Monday other than Mr. John J as he has never resolved any of my issues and that is **** poor customer service. I understand that you all are busy but I am still a customer. All I want is for someone to help me with this and get me the part I need to complete my y pipe. I have spent a lot of time, ink toner, money and patience. I just want my car running right. And it only had 31k on it now. I will email the pictures to the person who contacts me Monday. I will also fax the emails. If you look at the pic of your catted y the one that was sent to me was almost equal length on the driver and passenger side that goes into the pacesetter headers. Your pic shows the passenger side a little shorter.

Randy Alvarez
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jake at Texas Speed was awesome even though he made me send several pics to back up my claim but it is understandable. Atleast he did not blow me off. What was funny was Jake said that the tsp ory are machine made and all correct parts are included and once we went through all the pics he stated "It must have been something at Speed eng." As for the catted y I got burned and the issue was never resolved.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daryl,

I want to clarify a few things from what I understand about the situation. First of all when you guys felt the first crankshaft was wrong we quickly sent a replacement crankshaft even prior to Lunati being able to inspect the crankshaft. After Lunati inspected the crankshaft they called & informed us the crankshaft was not out of spec. Infact they felt the way you guys were measuring the crankshaft was incorrect. To measure a crankshaft properly you have to measure from the center main out. The measurements you were taking was from a surface that cannot properly tell you the correct location of the reluctor. (keep in mind they sell 1000s of crankshafts a year so they're pretty comfortable with proper measuring techniques)

Aaron clearly remembers Charlie @ Futral stating the car had tons of wiring problems and that could possibly be causing issues.

Here's exactly how it went down in order:

1. You call stating you think the crankshaft is a problem
2. We receive crankshaft back here & send over replacement crankshaft without even confirming this one was a issue
3. We send crankshaft to lunati
4. Lunati contacts us stating crankshaft is in spec and was even tested in a block where they can move a reluctor wheel .100" and test for signal
5. Car is reassembled & now starts
6. You have your lawyer send us & lunati a letter so lunati keeps the crankshaft at their facility for possible litigation.

Keep in mind from the start of the issues to today we've sold hundreds of lunati crankshafts just like yours none of which have ever had the issue you guys were seeing. Lunati told us very clearly that the guys at Futral didn't get back in touch with them concerning this situation as a whole.

Here's what I'm seeing & thinking on the matter. We've sold hundreds & hundreds of Lunati crankshaft over the last 10+ years of being in business. Of those hundreds & hundreds of crankshafts none of them have ever had the issue you guys thought you were seeing. When your crankshaft that supposedly had this issue was returned to Lunati, they found that the surface you guys were measuring from was not a proper point of reference. As a result the procedure you guys used for measuring the crankshaft were therefore invalid.

I'm happy you found a solution to your issue, but the thing you think is a problem is definitely not your problem. If you'd like to discuss this further feel free to give me a call. I'll also be happy to discuss it with your attorney. There's definitely something going on here, but you can rest assured the crankshafts you received were within spec.

Thanks

Jason
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 06-20-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Imagine that fellas we are human and we make mistakes.
Attached Thumbnails Texas Speed and Performance and Lunati-imag1170.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im trying to find the pic that shows the y portion wide indicating it don't fit. I told Jake that im no mechanic but it was ugly them making me feel like I was lying or trying to pull a fast one. Jake sent out the correct piece and I got it in two days and I advised Sean at Speed eng. Good experience. John at TSP sucks at customer service I just gave up after a year and I never received the label to ship the cat for TSP to inspect it. If anyone else has any horror stories plz share.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy Alvarez I apologize that I completely dropped the ball on your situation. There is no excuse for any of that. I am glad Jake was able to fix the situation.

However, I do not understand why you decided to post all of that in this thread. After the situation was fixed. I also never tried to make you out to be a liar.

Once again I apologize and take fault for my bad customer service in this situation.

John Janz
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we just venting John dead situation..yall make good parts and i'll buy again...just sharing stories..we straight
Old 06-20-2013, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why I had to read more about some exhaust in this thread than what it's suppose to be about? Anyhow it seems to me that Futral should had done a little more investigating before tearing apart your brand new engine. If there was really a problem with that crank and then the second one I'd say there would have been more people than just you complaining about them on here, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

Picture of Daryl's crank sensor alignment.

Texas Speed and Performance and Lunati-3-your-crank-wheel-sensor-alignment.jpg

Picture of proper crank sensor alignment.

Texas Speed and Performance and Lunati-2-center-sensor-center-wheel.jpg

Anyone see something wrong here?

As far as us not contacting TSP back about the issue I have several emails saved between us. At the end of the day Daryl had to make a choice to fix this out of his own pocket. I have done work for him in the past and still work on his car today. The fact that he bought a shortblock from TSP doesn't bother me one bit, I was trying to repair the car and tune it. We spent way more time checking the wiring harness, crank sensor, PCM than I should have. This isn't just some corner of the road oil change shop here. We knew it had to be a crank wheel issue but still ruled everything else out first. We built a custom shim for the second crank that still didn't line up even close. We reinstalled the crank wheel and had everything rebalanced since my name was now part of this motor build. Now with proper alignment between the sensor and wheel we put the motor back in the car and can you belive it the problem went away, motor will now crank and rev.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

I know of another TSP 408 that just had the same problem with the reluctor wheel, dont know the brand of the crank though off the top of my head. So its not the first time this has happened with a reluctor wheel.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I would expect nothing less from Futral. Great shop that gets the job done.

Quick Reply: Texas Speed and Performance and Lunati