LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Moser Engring Fraudulent Practices or QA Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser Engring Fraudulent Practices or QA Problems?

I had a Moser 12 bolt setup installed on my car about 6 thousand miles ago. The noise was bad but got worse with time so I had the gears replaced. When they opened up the case, they found that it was a ticking time bomb. The center pin was loose and very nearly out - which would have fried the posi when it failed in just a few hundred miles - the gears were about .025 gap which was supposed to be a nominal .010 which explained the cluncking and the howl...and the Eaton posi I paid extra for was not installed at all. The posi unit was an Auburn!!! According to Arizona statutes that constitutes fraud.

It cost me $450 to fix the problems caused by Moser Engineering and their non-existant Quality Control, and I still don't have my Eaton posi. It was a miracle the posi held together as long as it did and if the immenent center pin failure had occurred it would have been hundreds more. The car has not been to the track or abused in any way, the engine is stock with a few bolt ons - Volant and headers, basically.

Does Moser always do this bad or was I just lucky?

Regards,
Darden

Old 05-15-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Moser Engineering Fraudulent Practices

Mines not the quietest either. I did get mine used and the seller said no more than 500miles. I have a problem with mine pressurizing for some reason. Its able to push the rear gear oil out of that long breather hose no matter where I put it. I accidently put it in one spot and it pinched it. It blew gear oil out the cover all over and even pushed through the bearing cap bolts on the outside of the cover. I'm gonna have mine taken apart and put back together by a local shop. Its pretty noisey and I've thought of selling it and dont want to sell something I'm not confident in. Good luck to ya.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

senator , if you could do it again , would you do a strange rear end ?
( its nice to see another mecham guy here ! )
Old 05-16-2003, 02:13 AM
Teching In

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY NO QUALITY CONTROL. I ORDERED A MOSER 12 BOLT FROM THUNDER RACING AND THE ORDER WAS PLACED CORRECTLY BUT THE WRONG REAR END WAS SHIPPED FROM MOSER TO THE SHOP THAT IS INSTALLING IT. THEY SENT ONE W/O THE ABS SENSOR HOLE DRILLED. MEANWHILE MY 02 FIREHAWK SITS LIFELESS IN THE SHOP FOR A 3RD WEEK.
ANDY
Old 05-16-2003, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man ! I'm glad I opted for the Strange!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:48 AM
!Dial-up Director

If I could do it again I would get a Strange 12 bolt, I hate my Moser rear end.

Justin
Old 05-16-2003, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, mine was horrendously setup. **** poor to be exact. There was a shim lying in the differential housing when I pulled the cover off. Backlash was WAY off, tons of other things too. Moser can't set one up for the life of them.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Hmmmm.......sorry to hear this guys....but I geuss I'll be the odd ball here. My Moser is as quiet as my old 10 bolt was, and many 5k + launches. No problems. Maybe I just got lucky.......
Old 05-16-2003, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had good luck with my Moser 12 bolt but I purchased it through another shop. I think they purchased Moser stuff and put it together themselves. No gear whine (quiet as stock), correct parts, etc. I did have an issue with the seals but one trip to Napa solved that. I was also suprised they didn't include 8 small nuts for the t-bolts. The only issues I had was the ABS sensors needed to be spaced out a tad.

As for the gear oil problem, make sure you don't use the top girdle fill plug as your fill point. I found out the hard way that would be over filling the axle. Fill the axle at the plug on the side, not at the girdle.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:26 PM
7 Second Club

I must be lucky,my Moser is as quiet as stock with no leaks.Has held up to 6000rpm clutch dumps on ET drags,powershifting.Takes anything I've thrown at it (see sig).
Old 05-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

BAsed on the 150 or so miles that I have on it since it was set up properly, I think I would have had a local shop assemble and set up instead of just putting it on. You may want to figure out the cost to have a local shop set up your new Moser - I have no indication of bad manufacturing quality, just the assembly and setup (and of course the missing Eaton posi) - and compare that added cost to the price difference for the Strange.

Moser has already contacted me to gather info on the order for them to determine their response to my situation...we will see if they back up their product.

I just heard that Greg Moser was killed with his wife in a plane crash, so I would certainly understand if it takes a little while for them to sort this out. I will keep all informed.

Regards,
Darden

Old 05-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

I bought mine from TT Performance in NY - it was originally bought by a local guy in the Phoenix area but they put in the wrong reluctor ring for his car. It worked for mine so I got a SCREAMIN' deal since they didn't want to ship it all the way back to NY.

Anyways, the guys from TT called me and they are handling the whole issue with Moser through their contacts there. Rob Moser has been in contact and gave me his word to "make things right" on this as well, despite the fact his family has suffered a truly catastophic loss this last weekend.

It looks like this is going to work out. I'll keep everyone informed. So far I am impressed by the willingness to work through this with both TT Performance in NY and Moser.

I was pretty upset when it first happened, for obvious reasons, but I feel now that all involved are doing their best to recover the situation.

Regards,
Darden

Old 05-20-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Senator, what is the number to Moser? I had one put in at MTI, she whines pretty good and the seal has leaked almost from day 1. I ordered the best I could get, up-graded yolk, spline,T/A with studs ,3.73, and all. Spent big bucks getting this. I think it shouldn`t sound or be leaking like it does! Please let me know, Thanks! Only have 3000-4000 miles on her now. The whine started 3-days after the install and the leak came about 2-3 months of use. Only been to the track once!
Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Lay off Moser for awhile...They've just had 4 unfortunate deaths, including the owner, his wife, plant manager and his wife. I'm sure this your problems will be solved. Just have some respect for now.....
Old 05-21-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lay off Moser for awhile...They've just had 4 unfortunate deaths, including the owner, his wife, plant manager and his wife. I'm sure this your problems will be solved. Just have some respect for now.....
umm.... no one's saying anything about the people... they're talking about the product that that company makes, I don't see what's wrong with that... plus this was a problem before the plane crash....
Old 05-22-2003, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm sure the company will straighten out everyone's problems, Mike. They're a good company that's been around quite some time. Best wishes to everyone. WJ.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

People have been complaining about these problems for a while now. I don't see how anything is just going to get "solved."