LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

ARH and Race Proven: Thumbs Up (warning... LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up ARH and Race Proven: Thumbs Up (warning... LONG)

Bridged version: ARH and Race Proven customer service rocks

Unabridged: Bought a set of ARH's and Catted Y from Race Proven in Delaware. Fran wasn't able to call before the shop closed because he was busy moving his shop to a new facility. So he called me from HOME, and took my order, near 8pm I believe. Placed it and the headers were on my way. I asked how long from both him and Nick @ ARH and they said two weeks. 5 days later, I get a text saying a big package arrived with American Racing on it. Bonus, a week early.

I get home late at night and just check the headers out, and as told by everyone they are works of art. Welds are spot on, the bung placement is ironically in the #7 primary, inside of primary tubes at the flange are ground down smooth, etc. Install was for the most part straight forward. I already had poly mounts, without them it would have probably been a bit more difficult. Once in position a slight grind of the k-member to accommodate the slightly bigger tubes on the passenger side was all that's needed (I did ~3/8, could've gotten away with only about a 1/4 but a sawzall isn't exactly like using a pair of tweezers...). Now is when the fun began...

The y-pipe didn't line up with the LTs. It would seat, but not "squared" with the collectors. I didn't feel good leaving it on there somewhat crooked, not to mention I'd have had to hack off about 3" of the intermediate pipe and have it rewelded. Posted a thread asking if anyone had any install tips and explaining my situation. First response in the thread was from Nick, and he shot me a PM. Told me he'd call me Monday morning and discuss this because my problems were not common and he wanted to help to rectify the situation.

Talked to Nick Monday afternoon and for about 15 minutes or so he shot a few ideas my way on how it might work. He understood what the problem was and how I would best change my plan of attack to fix it, and even offered to have me drive to the shop (around 1.5hrs away, close IMO) if I got it on even part of the way, and finish the job off. Went home for the next couple days after work for a few hours each night trying different things. Helped but still no dice, it just wasn't going to fit. I called Nick and let him know, and he seemed even more irritated than I was To me it shows that they compromise nothing and only accept success with the parts.

He took my address down, and said he would make me a new y-pipe and that it would fit. I asked if he wanted a pic to show what was wrong, he said no he knew what the problem was. He was going to FedEx it out and it should get here in a day after shipping (Thursday). He called Friday to let me know they had a big production run earlier in the week and my pipe was getting finished up as he was on the phone and was going to leave that day, which was fine with me. He asked if I wanted Saturday delivery, I said no it was ok but thanks for offering. Pipe arrived Saturday anyhow

Took it out of the box, looked similar, but the dog leg went into the rest of the y-pipe much easier, and the angle on the collector mating pieces was SLIGHTLY different. Put the clamps loosely on the pipe, hit it with some silicone spray, and got under the car. 5 minutes later, pipe was on and fit properly. I tightened the headers back up to spec, and called Nick to thank him. I even have a box to send back the old one to him. To me, what I got from ARH and Race Proven was awesome customer service.

-J
Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For members wondering how to contact Race Proven, here is a link to their site from the sponsor list:
Race Proven Motorsports.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanx for the kind words.... sorry it took me so long to see this.