LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Strange Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25
Maybe we need to get some kind of ball rolling on this...

I envision some sort of kit with required parts and instructions for those with the 6 speed already purchased (new or used).
Like I said in the other thread...

There isn't a 6 speed trans with a higher power rating. It'd be a lot of work for a transmission that'd just blow out quicker than the stock one...

Besides, traction would be even more of a joke with gears that steep/close...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
I just want a 6-speed, lol.
there is a guy in toronto that has taken a g6 gtp 6speed transmission, beefed them up to handle 1000hp, and swapd them into atleast one 04 GTP that i know of. I assume if that can be done, we can get it done too because we just have a hd version of the trans that was swapd out .. I think the going price was $5000 or more to do the swap.. I was going to do it but i quit my job so i needed my savings for abit
Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StealthV8
there is a guy in toronto that has taken a g6 gtp 6speed transmission, beefed them up to handle 1000hp, and swapd them into atleast one 04 GTP that i know of. I assume if that can be done, we can get it done too because we just have a hd version of the trans that was swapd out .. I think the going price was $5000 or more to do the swap.. I was going to do it but i quit my job so i needed my savings for abit
Other than the case (trans mounted starter) and the controller (seperate TCM instead of dual function PCM), we have the same transmission as the GTP (they both have the HD differential). The custom fabrication for the trans mounted starter that will push that cost over 5k. IMO, a 5/6 speed manual would be the hot swap.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Like I said in the other thread...

There isn't a 6 speed trans with a higher power rating. It'd be a lot of work for a transmission that'd just blow out quicker than the stock one...

Besides, traction would be even more of a joke with gears that steep/close...
I don't think you like to read.

Maybe you and I aren't clicking or reading the same set of information. Maybe you should take the time and read about Loyde and all the swaps he's done.

FastFieros of Dallas

If the guy is swapping the 6T75 into a Fiero and matting it to the L76 (6.0L V8 - 361HP/385TQ) and makes the claim of "a nice 6 speed transmission rated to 400HP stock in a high HP - high torque application," then I believe him.

People complain day and night about how we have no options as LS4 owners, yet nobody shows interest. Except for the few brave souls (williamGT and BuickRacer to name a few) that go that extra mile.

Even those Fiero guys go the extra mile. They use our engines and transmissions and work wonders with them. They don't sit around waiting for things to happen (the engine isn't even theirs!).

I currently have a total of seven (7) back and forth emails with Loyde about the issue (September 2009). He was close then and was in contact with GM's lead engineer on the 6T75 (ex-engineer lead on the 6L80/90).

I know one thing is for sure, if this transmission goes out and I have to eat the full cost (post 100k warranty), I would like to have the option of putting in something other than that blasted 4T65E-HD. Only to have it potentially die on me again.

You can find the 6T75 from around $600-$1000 easy. A "simple" conversion/install kit from whomever would be appreciated when the time comes.

All we need to do as a community is show interest. Shoot some emails. I believe that's how the headers started. I know I've already done my part.

And here is one naysayer's comment:
Are you upgrading the internals too? I'm pretty sure the LS2 exceeds the max torque rating on the 6T75.
To which he replied:
Originally Posted by FastFieros
I am pretty sure I have managed to build a few powertrains that 'exceed' GM ratings by alot, and still survived.

This 6T75 is rated based on a 6400 lb boat, that can pull a 4000 lb boat. I am just putting this in a nice 2700 lb mid engine go cart ( Pontiac Fiero ). Besides in case you did not know how GM rates their transmissions, it is based on what is the highest thing attached released in OEM trim. So, if they have a 368 ft lb engine attached in 2009, it is rated 368. If in 2010 it gets attached to a 420 ft lb engine, it then goes to 420 as the spec rating. Usually no internal changes.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthV8
And I'm sure the more people show interest, the lower the price may be.

I would lean more towards FastFieros due to this connection with the GM engineer.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

Trust me if I had the money I'd have a turbo 6-speed manual bored-over GXP running 10s. I can show interest all day long doesn't mean I can act on it.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me if I had the money I'd have a turbo 6-speed manual bored-over GXP running 10s. I can show interest all day long doesn't mean I can act on it.
Showing interest does not necessarily mean you plan on making a purchase any time soon. What it does, however, show is demand for a certain good or service to which a supplier might want to entertain.

A perfect example is the headers. Thanks to everyone who showed interest (whether they plan on purchasing them now or later), I now have the option to purchase headers when I feel that I'm ready (post warranty period). Had williamGT and BuickRacer not gone that extra mile, I'd probably be here with the rest of you envisioning a way for someone to fab up some headers.

Supply and demand.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

...bored-over GXP running 10s.
And let's be realistic here. I don't think the LS4 can be bored over anymore than it really is to achieve any significant performance. I believe I read that there's a physical limitation.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GXP25
And let's be realistic here. I don't think the LS4 can be bored over anymore than it really is to achieve any significant performance. I believe I read that there's a physical limitation.
Modern iron-sleeved aluminum blocks can't be over-bored much, but they can be re-sleeved for more displacement. We have the same bore centers and head bolt locations as the 6.2s. There is very little difference between the various gen IV castings. If you know what you are doing and have the tools, you could convert to LS7 heads and displacement.

There can be minor differences in the internals of transmissions from year to year and model to model, but there are definitely major differences in their calibrations. You can certainly run more power through a transmission than it is rated for without upgrading internals to handle the torque or recalibrating for the increased clutch energies during shifting, but you should not expect the same service life. It's like overloading a truck: you can do it, but you shouldn't be surprised if you break something if you hit a nasty pot hole.

I definitely agree that a 6 speed swap is possible and would be fun, but I don't have the slightest bit of buyers remorse with TEP built transmission either.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

I would rather spend the 2k building my transmission to handle whatever I throw at it, than spend 5k+ plus parts to put a 6 speed in that will still break if it gets traction in a high horsepower LS4. We're traction limited at the moment anyway, close ratio, steep gears are not the answer. Money is best spent in other areas, imo.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would rather spend the 2k building my transmission to handle whatever I throw at it, than spend 5k+ plus parts to put a 6 speed in that will still break if it gets traction in a high horsepower LS4. We're traction limited at the moment anyway, close ratio, steep gears are not the answer. Money is best spent in other areas, imo.
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder WRT this transmission. Or is it your lack of TAPshift/a manual mode? 6T75: P, R, N, D, M, (DSC+/-) & L (MU/MD)

High horsepower LS4? LOL!

Regardless, everything I've found on this transmission seems to fit the bill. In fact it looks pretty damn good:

SPECIFICATIONS: HYDRA-MATIC 6T75 (MY9) | 4T65E-HD (M15/MD7/MN7)
Acadia/Enclave/Outlook/Traverse | GXP/SS/Super
Engine range:
3.6L - 4.6L | 2.5L - 5.3L
Maximum engine torque:
301 lb-ft (406 Nm) | 280 lb-ft (380 Nm)
Maximum gearbox torque:
380 lb-ft (515Nm) all gears | 400 lb-ft (542 Nm)
Gear ratios:
First: 4.484 | 2.92
Second: 2.872 | 1.56
Third: 1.842 | 1
Fourth: 1.414 | 0.7
Fifth: 1 | N/A
Sixth: 0.742 | N/A
Reverse: 2.882 | 2.38
Final drive ratio:
3.16 | 2.93 (GXP, Super)/3.05 (CX, CXL)/3.29 (SS)
Maximum shift speed/Maximum input speed:
Rev 5000 rpm | N/A
1-2 7000 rpm | 1-2 7000 rpm
2-3 7000 rpm | 2-3 6500 rpm
3-4 7000 rpm | 3-4 6000 rpm
4-5 6500 rpm | N/A
5-6 5798 rpm | N/A
Maximum validated gross vehicle weight:
2930 kg (6460 lbs) | 2903 kg (6400 lb)
Shifter Positions:
P, R, N, D, M, (DSC+/-) & L (MU/MD) | P, R, N, OD, 3, 2, 1/P, R, N, D & DSC +/-
Don't like the tall first gear? Start in second.

Sources attached (you can also find them at GM).
Attached Files
File Type: doc
4T65E-HD Specs.doc (28.0 KB, 322 views)
File Type: doc
6T75 Specs.doc (46.0 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by GXP25; 06-08-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Final Drive Ratio mistake.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

Sounds good, who wants to buy it and put it in my car? It's TapShift ready.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Launching!

ive owned my 07 gxp since new. Every summer I change the filter and tran fluid. its just over 99000 km now and off factory warrenty with a shift kit and tran cooler installed a week after i bought it. I change the tranny fluid and filter myself. Stealership tries to get 100+ of my dollars to do sumthing that takes half a hour. btw is the tranny pan seal reusable Ive never replaced it or thought to replace it lol
Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Starting in second defeats the point of even having a 6 speed lol.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned

Back on the original topic, I tried to replicate the incident by running the hell out of my car. Got the trans temp up to 226* and... It shifted normally... So I'm leaning towards freaking occurrence.

And to the other subject, I guess if I ever get a job and get some money saved up I could guinea pig the 6T75.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Modern iron-sleeved aluminum blocks can't be over-bored much, but they can be re-sleeved for more displacement. We have the same bore centers and head bolt locations as the 6.2s. There is very little difference between the various gen IV castings. If you know what you are doing and have the tools, you could convert to LS7 heads and displacement.

There can be minor differences in the internals of transmissions from year to year and model to model, but there are definitely major differences in their calibrations. You can certainly run more power through a transmission than it is rated for without upgrading internals to handle the torque or recalibrating for the increased clutch energies during shifting, but you should not expect the same service life. It's like overloading a truck: you can do it, but you shouldn't be surprised if you break something if you hit a nasty pot hole.

I definitely agree that a 6 speed swap is possible and would be fun, but I don't have the slightest bit of buyers remorse with TEP built transmission either.
Great info. Thanks!

Starting in second defeats the point of even having a 6 speed lol.
That would just give us a 5 speed then. Still better than 4.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Back on the original topic, I tried to replicate the incident by running the hell out of my car. Got the trans temp up to 226* and... It shifted normally... So I'm leaning towards freaking occurrence.

And to the other subject, I guess if I ever get a job and get some money saved up I could guinea pig the 6T75.
JP, one thing that will cause the trans to go to 3rd, TCC locked, is over-temperature like you were thinking... were you by any chance running around in TapShift mode when you had this issue? Or doing highway driving (4th gear) in TapShift? The TCC won't lock up in TapShift mode, and it is possible to overheat the trans without the TCC being locked. 3rd, locked TCC, gives the best cooling. One thing I did when I retuned my trans was lower the threshold to get into trans over-temp mode to better protect my trans from myself. Maybe your tuner did the same thing.

@ the side conversation - one thing that would make that steep 1st in the 6 speed really worthwhile is a really aggressive cam that kills the bottom end torque in these engines. By aggressive I mean something in the 235+ range.

Quick Reply: Strange Trans Issue