LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Time to replace the ISS.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace the ISS.

As so many of you have experienced, I'm getting the lovely clunking and general icky feeling that comes with a bad ISS. The steering still feels tight, and the car goes straight and true, it is only really noticeable at low speeds. I have yet to take the car into a dealership to have my diagnosis confirmed, I just wanted to check with those who have had this done and see what it costs. I'm well over warranty (64,000) so I'll be paying out of pocket .

I was also wondering if this is a must fix, or if I can live with it without harming the car.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a noise! Not a real problem, other than nucience. If you can live with it, than do so. If you can't, you can fix it by lubing it. Search, there is a fix posted somewhere.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Well, I had mine done twice under warranty so I dont know the cost off hand. It did not take them long at all to change it out though. I think the labor hours listed were only one or two hours. I can check the paper when I get home. The second time they replaced it, it actually turned out to be the rack and not the ISS. Just something to keep in mind. Where are you going to take it for service?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Teching In

I was thinking of the Pontiac place on Bluemound in Brookfield, the name escapes me at the moment. I work in Pewaukee, so it's on the way home.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Yep, Brookfield Buick Pontiac GMC. I hear they're a pretty decent dealer. I go to Bob Tolken on 27th. Sal the service advisor is a good guy. The other ones I don't like.