LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 swap info?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 swap info?

looking for some info about the LS4. My wife has a 04 Impala. We love the car and it is paid for. The tranny is starting to slip a bit and I don't like the 3.8 or how notorious it is for problems.

I would guess motor/tranny mount wise, it should be pretty close. I want all of the stock functions of the car to work (gauges, BCM, etc.) I'm quite familiar with every aspect of the LS1-7 with the exception of the LS4. I would think it runs the same ECM as the GENIV rwd cars and trucks.

Any info you can give would be great.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

heres some info in other swap threads.https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...s4-swap-s.html and
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...-me-learn.html
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 05-06 use a different computer than the 07+ because of the vvt cam or whatever. there are some decent engine/tranny combos on ebay. of course youll probably need axles, maybe a instument cluster, accelerator pedal, radiator, a/c system, fuel pump, mounts, air intake, and whatever else pops up if its a custom thing. the suspension might not take the extra weight/torque either.

might end up being cheaper/easier to rebuild the 3.8 with harder parts, doing a supercharger, and getting a decent tranny/axle setup.

its not likely youll end up with a super fast car either way and the 3.8 has alot of aftermarket stuff available that we dont (headers).