LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

hogan DP

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corny40
John, FYI, if you don't remove the code, you won't be able to pass the TX state inspection.
Only in emissions counties.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

John, FYI, if you don't remove the code, you won't be able to pass the TX state inspection.
if i take it off and put the old one on for a little before inspection will the code go away?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rossko85
yeah, just call Hogan and ask to speak to da man himself: Kurt Hogan, he is the one responsible for all orders and manufacturing of the DP's, he will set you up real nice, the kit comes in a long box with all you need. You will have some newspaper as packing material and your gaskets and flanges will be in a envelope taped to the side of the box labeled with marker, "Gaskets and Flanges". Your Downpipe will come in one piece half-way bolted-on for packing and fitting...gives you an idea of the direction it goes etc....thats if you buy a HF CAT with your set up....the shorty DP is just one short piece that is ideal for 3" back all the way custom exhaust....I dont recommend that though as there is such thing as too much exit flow...keep the ratio from the front as 3:2.5:2.25 to the rear in the muffs...just opinion...do the cardboard paper towel roll or gift wrap tube experiment I tell to guys for flow questions....you have to keep air tight toward the rear for a back pressure figure to help your HP...blow into one of those, and ill bet you get winded really quick...now place just a lil smaller one at end inside to constrict the flow, you will see smaller constrictions will "pinch the air" as this keeps ya flowing well and doing someting with the back pressure which means your not just cycling air out the rear...this is just my opinion though...lol

ya ill be getting the highflow cat. thx btw, great help man.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Default get a simulator

Ok, here's the deal to avoid a code with a new performance downpipe. Get a O2 Simulator. Check the web, there are a lot of electrical ones out there. Or... this is supposed to work: a mechanical simulator. http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...9&hl=simulator Although this is not on our cars, I have read about this on other sites with various types of cars and everyone who's tried it says it works and it very cheap and easy.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tune it out. You won't be able to find an electrical one because the government made them stop selling them for emissions reasons etc.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Check the internet, the elctrical simulators are in fact still widely available. Cost of a tune??? big, Cost of mechanical simulator (two spark plug anti foulers) about $4.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

thx for the help. hopefully i dont get a code at all **crossed-fingers** and it will all work out. i just put my order in and it should be in wednesday. thx again for the help guys
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnrogeri12
thx for the help. hopefully i dont get a code at all **crossed-fingers** and it will all work out. i just put my order in and it should be in wednesday. thx again for the help guys
Well I have an 08 GXP and when I got my downpipe installed (DP7S)
when we were done, I started the car and I said wow no check engine light, until 3 days later the PO420 showed up.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Only in emissions counties.
...and, what do you think Houston is in???

Plus, he can't go to a non-emissions county and expect to get inspected. If the car is registered in an emissions county, they won't do it.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

MAN!!! I can only hope it doesnt get that bad in INDY just yet....lol I feel for ya guys..we have a lot of laws and ordinaces etc...but no stations to inspect etc...at least for non-DOT motorist
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Well one can't even buy the OR DP anymore...so that sucks. I looked into the CA law and the car has to been 9 years old to physically touch the cat, whether a OEM replacement or a new DP or the like--you are facing a $1000 fine per cat if you tamper with them.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Launching!

I don't think it has ever been legal to remove a non-faulty emmision device period. I only removed mine because it was ummm defective. Kurt at Hogan Performance will build you the highest quality product you can buy, hands down. An HP Tuner will get rid of the light if triggered (not all cars trigger a light - mine took 2+ weeks and happened "off road" at 130+), but the downside to not getting it tuned if the engine light comes on is the Auto Start will not work, and you will not pass your state emissions test (if required) because once they plug into your OBD port, it will register a faulty CAT/O2 sensor and you'll get the big ol "R"ejection sticker. With the HP Tuner, you'll pass without a problem, and with Flowmasters these things sound great.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

...and, what do you think Houston is in???

Plus, he can't go to a non-emissions county and expect to get inspected. If the car is registered in an emissions county, they won't do it.

Don't roll your eyes at me! Just stating it's only in emissions counties. He can get an inspection in another county, just with an affadavit, which will only get you into trouble while back in Houston.

I'm glad here in Bell county we don't have emissions yet.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

k well i got it the damn engine light... same boat as williamGT, about 3 days later. so corny your saying wiht the light on i wont pass inspection (a while away, september 2010). What does it take get a tune?? plus, could i get some help finding thos simulators, did some searching couldnt really find anything.

Last edited by johnrogeri12; 04-19-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well leave it on there till u have to pass, then swap pipes for test.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

k well i got it the damn engine light... same boat as williamGT, about 3 days later. so corny your saying wiht the light on i wont pass inspection (a while away, september 2010). What does it take get a tune?? plus, could i get some help finding thos simulators, did some searching couldnt really find anything.
Pretty much any tune will be able to remove the code.

Vector Motorsports has a tune for $369 that is 'stealth' and they can remove the light. You can opt for HPtuners which costs more, but is much more capable.

There are some other tunes available also.

*edit*
I've read that spacer type simulators don't work for our vehicles due to the 02 signal being varaible, and with the spacer it gets a constant reading.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i take it off and put the old one on for a little before inspection will the code go away?
Yes, as long as you erase the code, it won't come back on with the stock unit.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Once you remove the code with a tuner, while using the Hogan DP7S, will the code return? I just installed mine 3 days ago. No troubles yet, but it sounds like this code is inevitable. Thanks for any info.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sewerat,

Nice friggin' Buick, Dude! Nicest one I have seen.

-Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to delete the code, not just clear it out. Well it might stay off for a little while, but you'll end up doing it again.

Quick Reply: hogan DP