LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration

Question for you guys. I just had my wheels balanced. I have done the motor mount flip. But even before i did that I had a vibration in the wheel. It usually happens when you first start driving the car for a couple of miles after it has sat for a while. it seems to go away after a few miles. I was wondering what is causing this vibration. The wheels are all balanced and the car only has 18000 miles on it. Any ideas?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

My guess is it is the infamous motor vibration which I understand to be DOD related.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, go to your car, open the drivers door, pull the hood latch, go to the front of the car, open the hood. Look real hard at the engine, if it is sideways, you found your vibration!! Ha Ha Ha.
Just kidding!!
It is verry possible that its your tires, Go to a deadership, and tell them what its doing, They should cover it under warranty...
My tires will vibrate their *** off for a few miles in the morning then it goes away...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tires vibrating for a few miles, then going away? Sorry, that's not your tires vibrating.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Default Vibration not tires

I didn't think it was tires. Especially after I had just gotten them balanced. Also, if it were tires, it would be a constant, not just for a few miles and then gone. The engine is questionable in my mind as well. If it were the mount or something, the vibration would have changed when I flipped the mount. But nothing. Same vibration. Sometimes, its barely there, and then at other times its vibrating like a mother-f$#er.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

No it has to do with DOD engaging when decelerating, the car goes into 4cyl mode and the vibration comes from the cylinders disengaging and the engine running unbalanced in 4cyl mode. Once you are stopped, it goes back to v8 mode. Very frustrating, just get a tune that removes DoD.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, not DOD cause it does not even engage until it is warmed up to operating temp.

Just put it in 3rd the next time and see, the DoD does not work in 3rd at all.

SERIOUSLY get your brakes lubricated, sliders/pins on all four corners and re-lube them with every tire rotation.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Teching In

If you don't drive the car much, it is possible that the tires became a little flat-spotted on the bottom. After a little driving the flat-spotting goes away and the car remains smooth. That's my guess; I unfortunately had Kumho tires on a past Corvette and those tires flat-spotted really, really bad. Even after sitting for only a week or so. But yeah, as Ill Born SS stated, make sure the caliper pins are getting lubricated also. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hp tuners, set DOD to turn off at 1000 rpms, and shudder is gone.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

I remember a couple members having issues with plain old faulty tires that would do this. One had the dealer replace them and it went away. It took MANY service visits to get the tires replaced, but in the end it happened. You'd need to leave it there overnight, meet them in the AM, and then take them on a test drive to show them.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine kinda has this same issue if it sets for a few days. My theory is that since the weight of the car is on same part of the tire, it creates a "flat" spot. After you drive it for a few miles, the "flat" spot is worked out.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
My guess is it is the infamous motor vibration which I understand to be DOD related.
Originally Posted by supercatxr7
hp tuners, set DOD to turn off at 1000 rpms, and shudder is gone.
This vibration he is feeling is most likely the DOD engage when you are slowing down....it feeld like a shimmy and rattle in the wheel...no?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

mine does the same thing. not when i slow down, just the first 1/8 of a mile or so during the first drive of the day. my issue is definitely the tires and it sounds like you might be experiencing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Vibration