LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Impala SS/GXP reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to start off I owned a 06 GXP and I loved it even though it had its problems which I think were due to my driving style. The trans went at 21k but down shifts from 2nd to 1st at 40mph probably didnt help and more than two 120mph+ runs a week for a year and i dont even know how many times i went wot in a day over the two years i owned it. Next thing the brakes went out at 14k which was my fault. The stock tires were ok i dont know how they drive in the snow sence i live in texas. I would get about 15mpg in town and about 22mpg on the hwy but thats at about 85mph. I put this car through a lot over the course of two years and 35k miles and in the end it still ran good and would pull hard through the gears up to 140+ mph but if you are looking for a cheep fuel efficent car i would look or an older gp like a 02 or 03 GTP I use to own an 02 GTP and now my brother drives it and IMO I like these cars more and they seem to be more reliable my brothers has 105k miles on it and it doesnt skip a beat and would out run the GXP but he has a CAI high flow cat smaller pulley and tbs. this car get about 20 to 21mpg in town and around 34mpg @70mph but its flat here in west texas
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I definitely beat on my first transmission. Lots of downshift and all that, so I set myself up for pain. Prior to owning the GXP I had only ever driving manuals, so when I got the GXP I was always rolling in tapshift mode. With my second transmission I've been kinder to it anod mostly left it in drive and the transmission seems to be doing well. I still miss having a clutch though. When I turn into my driveway I still move my left foot over to pop the clutch so I can downshift. Old habits die hard.

Its a good car, with foor doors you can haul plenty of coeds around in it, you can impress them when you put your foot down on the highway and the W-Bodys ride nice, so when you're driving home for breaks it will be pleasant. I would definitely buy this car again. I currently plan on maintaining the GXP as my daily driver for some time. I actually prefer driving it to my direct injected CTS. The CTS is nice and all but the rumble of the V8 is just so lovely. Of course once I save up and add a CTS-V to the fleet the GXP might find itself regulated to second string status.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude what are you doing? I got this car and now Im gonna be trading up for a g8 gt sometime this week. dont mess around with these cars they get very BORING real fast and they dont handle very good the fwd ruins what these car could have been. Going fast in a straight line is no fun. I say save for something nicer and buy RWD , front wheel drive is a joke . you drive a fwd car ur an old man plain and simple. RWD RWD. trust me . get otta here. ABORT ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!. THESE CARS DO NOT HOLD THEIR VALUE! and dont worry about rwd in the snow back in the 60's when cars didnt have stability control and traction control rwd was dangerous now its alot less and imo RWD is the best and safest setup opposed from awd and fwd.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

^^^ I dont think the guy plans on taking the car to the indy 500. For what he described, he wants a car that can be a daily driver and got some good performance under the hood. Honestly you will get ppl who hate the car and ppl who love it.. I love the car and i dont consider myself an old man and im sure many other on here dont think that comment wasnt right either.. I do wish the car was RWD b/c that what V8 should have, but the FWD setup is just fine for me and surprisingly i beat a few RWD cars (charger, mustangs gt, etc).. The only good think about RWD is you get a kick in the *** instead of a pull and you can do donuts, drift the car, get a few extra power out of it and smoke the the tires to treads easier.

I dont do any of these things so im just fine with the car.. Go with what you feel about the car.. Honestly with any car, even the G8 GT, ppl will complain about it b/c it doesnt fit there needs when really we need to answer his questions on what he looking for...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Umh guys, regarding the comments about these cars not holding their value, the opening poster is a 19 year old college student looking to pick up a vehicle. I'd imagine the fact he can pick one up cheap is kind of a good thing.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I have an 08 IMP, and love it. I have owned several Mustang and whatnot through the years, and RWD is fun too, but this car is fun to drive, and with some tuning, she's even more fun to drive. No I can't do donuts, but how often do you do that before you are bored?

Is it an all out race car? No. Is it a crappy 4 door grampa car? No. Is it a nice sleeper that gets up and goes and the cops won't look twice at you? Yes, well they didn't look at mine until I started messing with it, lol.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by beznich
I have an 08 IMP, and love it. I have owned several Mustang and whatnot through the years, and RWD is fun too, but this car is fun to drive, and with some tuning, she's even more fun to drive. No I can't do donuts, but how often do you do that before you are bored?

Is it an all out race car? No. Is it a crappy 4 door grampa car? No. Is it a nice sleeper that gets up and goes and the cops won't look twice at you? Yes, well they didn't look at mine until I started messing with it, lol.
I agree, I like mine for it's low profile setup. I have my vette for all out crazyness but when I am working or going to Walmart or something I don't want to be bothered.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like these cars. You can do donuts in reverse. No, I have never done it. I was trying to be funny..... : )

-Mike

Quick Reply: Impala SS/GXP reliability