LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

FINALLY got Brakes and Alignment Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY got Brakes and Alignment Fixed

My Impala SS has been plagued with bad alignment (pulling, tire wear, etc) and pulsating brakes since I bought it. I had the alignment done twice by an alignment shop - no dice, still pulled. I had it done by the dealer, and it pulled worse when I got it back. I finally had it done again by a shop and it is now perfectly aligned (doesn't pull). I'm sure it is still tearing up the back tires though.

Pulsating brakes are a terrible problem with these cars. The shop that did the alignment said the brakes were in good shape, but the rotors were warped. They offered to turn all 4 for $150. I had them do it, but it was a waste of money, they still pulsated afterwards. I finally just bought new Napa rotors and no name ceramic pads and did the fronts. NO MORE PULSATING and it was easy - only took about and hour. That was the best hour I ever spent.

I love this Impala, but am very tired of chasing down this little bullsh*t. We shouldn't have to work so hard to love our cars.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 30k miles, I just put on new rotors and pads. My pads still had 80% pads, but the rotors looked like a cheetah with all the heat spots. I turned the rotors, but no dice, they looked like **** still, so I bought new rotors also.

When I bought my car, the rear toe was all fugged up, so I did an alignment, my camber is in front and rear, and I was good to go.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Launching!

My 25K SS has the worse pulsating brakes. I just order new rotors and ceramic pads for a guy here on LS1. If they work out, I'll post a thread about them, but I'm not going to promote them until I try them out.

Also, I've had my car aligned twice as well and my caster is out of spec, and there is no caster adjustment from the factory. I owned fox body mustangs in the past which resolved that issue. Does anyone know of a set of caster/camber plates for our cars?

I'm going to start a new post about that.....
Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude iam with ya, i have allot of problems with this car, and iam tired of seeing the dic say calibration, or the tranny problems or the shitty interior noise that i cant fix for the life of me, not to mention the water leak

no camber plates for these cars, there are ecentric bolts which my mechanic had to use to get it straight, gm`s quality has gone down the tubes using cheap material, cheap metal, we fix allot of impala`s due to rust,

yes rust on brand new cars coming of the truck, way to go GM!! water leaks, interior noise on brand new cars, i too am tired of working on my car to stop such little bullshit, that the factory should have fixed or the engineers someone!!

**** my 03 alero that sat for 3 yrs runs better then my pontiac,lol wtf!!!