LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

genesis coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i second that. what makes america great is you have the right to voice your opinion even if you sound like a total *** doing it. and im sure that every business does things cause its cheaper in the long run. there not running for president its business.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Well, Hyundai certainly did not contribute to the wealth of this nation over the past 50 years like American automobile companies have. Without industries like automobiles this country would have very little middle class. THAT is why Hyundai (or any other foreign car maker) will never see a penny from me. And, to boot, American car companies are now producing very desirable vehicles, so in my view there's really no reason to send my "car buying" money anywhere else.

Back to the original post - you probably would have pulled the guy if you didn't have all that extra weight in your car. Don't let it bother you.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite Hyundai was the Scoupe! What a POS.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Hyundai's are great cars these days. I grew up in a "Buy American, GM-only" family and thought that way for a lot of years but not anymore. My dad has even come around. Several years ago he got fed up with the problems on his Pontiac and Chevy and decided to buy a Hyundai XG350, then a Sonata the next year. He was so impressed by those cars, 6 months ago he bought a Genesis sedan. 4.6L V8. Yes, the car is as good as you've heard. And it turns heads where ever it goes. Hyundai is for real. The Genesis Coupe is a great car too but it's nothing like the sedan. The cars are so different they really shouldn't have the same name.

It's a global economy, like it or not, and all cars have lots of foreign AND domestic parts regardless where they're built or how the EPA classifies them. Plus all major car companies have assembly plants in the US. I own both domestic (Trans Am and Chrysler) and foreign (Nissan Altima). The Altima was built in Tennessee and the Chrysler was built in Canada. Everyone gets to make their own purchase decisions and use whatever criteria you'd like but why would you restrict your options buy only looking at the Big 3? If you're a kid in the candy store, would you restrict yourself to only half the store?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

it funny cause all the LS4 grand prixs where built in canada..

I don't like the new genesis, think its going to be the new poser car. Can't wait to race one.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Teching In

A few foreign-owned ASSEMBLY plants in the U.S. don't amount to squat compared to the Big 3's presence in this country. Our country will continue its downhill economic slide until people wake up and realize that American products (cars included) are extremely competitive in the quality department.

I guess I'm the kind of guy who buys a $30 hammer because it is made in the USA, by an American company vs. the $10 hammer that is made by a Chinese company. I wouldn't even care if the foreign company assembles the hammer in the U.S. - it's still a foreign company, plain and simple. Look at all the barriers to entry that Asian countries put up to spurn imported goods - and yet Americans embrace products coming from them?

15-20 years ago Hyundai was producing complete junk, but they gained traction because of low price. So in spite of the fact that Hyundai vehicles were crappy then, how does that explain why Americans are still giving Hyundai a chance today? How is this situation any different than American car companies? I have heard the same excuse so many times - - "well, my dad's 1986 Pontiac 6000 STE developed an oil leak after 180,000 miles, so I'll never buy an American car again." Snap out of it and realize that American cars today (Ford and GM at least) are on par with the imported competition. Foreign manufacturers want nothing more than complete destruction of the American manufacturing base. Soon China will try to enter this country to sell cars. And cheap Americans will probably buy them, too!

Do what you want with your money, after all it's your money. But I'd take a Cadillac CTS over a cheap Lexus GS knock-off any day of the week.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Key thing is do what you want with your money. For me, I buy the vehicle I like most and I feel best fits my needs for the money. I don't care what company it's from. Completely avoiding a car soley because it's foreign, or domestic, is completely stupid IMO. While the Big 3's presence is undoubtedly more than the foreign companies will ever have those foreign assembly plants are still providing lots and lots of jobs along with their suppliers that are in this country.

For the people that think that Americans should only buy American, does that then mean that people globally should only buy cars from their countries and not buy American cars? Good luck sustaining the American auto industry if you think they shouldn't compete globally. Foreign companies have just as much right to sell stuff here as we do there. Just seems like a stupid argument to say that foreign companies are trying to destroy the American mfg. industry by manufacturing here, but yet it's still okay for American companies to take away American jobs to manufacture in Mexico or Canada. I've owned 2 GM vehicles, none of which were actually manufactured in the United States. Which is fine, that's how business works, if it's cheaper to manufacture elsewhere, you do it. Competition is good and people should be able to buy any car they want without having everyone cry about it and accuse you of not being patriotic. I'll NEVER buy a car just so I can wave my American flag around. If the American option is the one I like the best, sure I'll buy it. Maybe more people will start buying American again since GM seems to finally get the point that you're only going to sell cars if you make stuff people actually like. Cars like the new Malibu, CTS, LaCrosse, Equinox, etc. seem to be a step in the right direction finally.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Teching In

I'm not going to further discuss the issue with people who resort to name-calling.

I DO NOT buy a car to wave our flag. However, I am saying that the global economy is certainly NOT a level playing field. If you think it is, then you're dreaming. American companies DO NOT have the same "right" to compete in certain Asian countries compared with the opportunities we provide to them here. Trade barriers have been in place for many years, and that is a fact. Americans are too quick to buy their propoganda by believing that they're "helping America out" by assembling a few vehicles here.

My apologies to the original poster whose thread got mangled, in part because of my rant.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh wait a minute, I'm happy to report that i've raced one of these and whooped its ***. It started merging on to the highway, i was in front and he pulled next to me i saw that he gunned it so i did too. I'll admit i was a couple feet ahead but he flogged it first. After beating him he was pretty upset so he followed me off the highway flashing his lights at me to a red light. Long straight road 2 am so i said what the hell. I looked over one person in car, like me. Light turned green he honked 3 time and both go at it. My wheels spin a bit giving him the jump but i reeled him in and pass him no problem.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueChevyGuy
I'm not going to further discuss the issue with people who resort to name-calling.

I DO NOT buy a car to wave our flag. However, I am saying that the global economy is certainly NOT a level playing field. If you think it is, then you're dreaming. American companies DO NOT have the same "right" to compete in certain Asian countries compared with the opportunities we provide to them here. Trade barriers have been in place for many years, and that is a fact. Americans are too quick to buy their propoganda by believing that they're "helping America out" by assembling a few vehicles here.

My apologies to the original poster whose thread got mangled, in part because of my rant.

Maybe you don't buy for that reason, but there are plenty who want to make the whole issue about being patriotic when it should really only be about buying the car you want, and not anything else. Do I buy into propaganda? Nope. Do those foreign companies even come close to doing for the economy what the Big 3 do? Absolutely not. But it doesn't change the fact that they're providing lots of jobs to American workers. Is that not important? In the end, there's really no such thing as anything being completely made in America. Even if it's made here, it will still contain parts made overseas. Look at the Corvette. Made in Bowling Green. To me, it doesn't really get any American than the Corvette. That still has Japanese made parts on it. Just a part of business. Foreign companies manufacture here because it's cheaper if they're going to be in this market. I never said they do it cause they want to be friendly and proactively help us out. Same reason American companies manufacture in nearby Canada and Mexico. It's cheaper in many cases.

And for the record, my comments really weren't directed to you as much as they were just to the general consensus of people that want to demean anyone who chooses to buy a vehicle who's headquarters isn't in Detroit. So I apologize if you took it as I was singling you out and insulting you. These arguments typically never go over well regardless of where they take place.

And Vectus, it's likely it was only a 2.0T model if you beat him as much as you say. They only have 210hp stock.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was a coupe, so yea it wasnt the V8 didnt claim that. =) and its was the 3.8 which are 290.

Last edited by Vectus; 10-07-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the V6 has 306hp. And I won't discount your story, still surprising that you beat him like that though. As equal as they are it's kind of like someone with an Imp SS saying that spanked a GXP.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i'll try to vid it next time =P my bolt ons made a big dif with my car, at least i feel that way. And actually i havent seen any GXPs here, otherwise i'd have to test your remark. =)
Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, not saying it didn't happen or anything. Just making the comparison since the GXP naturally basically runs the same time as the SS being as they're basically the same car and the Genesis numbers are right there as well. What mods you got done?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh no i know that, only reason i'll pull ahead a GXP is if its stock. I have my CAI with heat blocker, magnaflows, ecutout, my hood actually pushes alot more air to my intake so it really does do wonders, the faster the better, and my tune. Oh BTW it was brand new, it didnt have its plates yet, sooo i assume it was stock.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i basicly have the same bolt ons as you and a canned tune. i highly doubt that you reeled it in and blew by him. if anything i think the monte should be slightly faster then the gxp and the imp just cause the weight. perhaps it was a stick car and the genesis missed a gear or it was the 2.0t cause you didnt blow away the v6.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ It could have been a horrible driver, perhaps some high school kid with thier first standard? lol

I remember I ran low 15's in my turbocharged Civic I had in high school due to no driving skills, added slicks and more driver skills and ran low 13's in it.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i basicly have the same bolt ons as you and a canned tune. i highly doubt that you reeled it in and blew by him. if anything i think the monte should be slightly faster then the gxp and the imp just cause the weight. perhaps it was a stick car and the genesis missed a gear or it was the 2.0t cause you didnt blow away the v6.
Well no, i'd think it was the v6 because i did reel him in and end up passing him, i did say i blew past him. re-read if you like, maybe it did miss a gear. not trying to brag just sharing.