LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

transmission recall...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Fast7
Ok so you want to bash toyota but tell me this, would any of the big three do a total shout down to fix the problem so they can get the parts out to the people? That would be a big fat NO! I am a supplier to the auto industry and i can tell you that the quality for the big three is no were near the imports (yes we also supply them also). When there is a problem the foreman will not stop the press because it comes down to quantity. I see crap go out the doors all the time. Now if that was for the import side they get the problem fix asap cause they know they will not deal with crap being shipped to them. Not to mention the customer service is way better.

Now don't get me wrong i love my car but gm will not even fix the trans rite the first time. they knowingly put an inferior part in our cars and hope that our warranty runs out first. Why do you think that they cost so much so they can cover the cost of fixing it. Hell it would have cost less to do it rite the first time. Just like them to be cheap and try to make a profit. And as for a recall it has to become a safety issue. Say if you were driving down the road and it were to lock up at 65-75mph it could cause loss of life accident then it would be recalled. Now it may be covered under the lemon law as it is a problem that continually has to be repaired. If you have had it repaired 3 times i would look into it.

last time i checked that is what our country is based on.

if you knew gm made shitty parts then why did you buy one? doesnt make a lot of sense to me.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

i didn't say i didn't want it i am pointing out the facts. at the end of the day it comes down to what i like and can afford.

so you're saying that our country puts out crap to make a huge profit by cheating the average person?!

Last edited by 1Fast7; 02-01-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't say i didn't want it i am pointing out the facts. at the end of the day it comes down to what i like and can afford.

so you're saying that our country puts out crap to make a huge profit by cheating the average person?!
i actually didnt say that at all...all i said was America's economy is based on making profits...you are the one who added the other **** in.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

capitalism.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so you want to bash toyota but tell me this, would any of the big three do a total shout down to fix the problem so they can get the parts out to the people? That would be a big fat NO! I am a supplier to the auto industry and i can tell you that the quality for the big three is no were near the imports (yes we also supply them also). When there is a problem the foreman will not stop the press because it comes down to quantity. I see crap go out the doors all the time. Now if that was for the import side they get the problem fix asap cause they know they will not deal with crap being shipped to them. Not to mention the customer service is way better.

Now don't get me wrong i love my car but gm will not even fix the trans rite the first time. they knowingly put an inferior part in our cars and hope that our warranty runs out first. Why do you think that they cost so much so they can cover the cost of fixing it. Hell it would have cost less to do it rite the first time. Just like them to be cheap and try to make a profit. And as for a recall it has to become a safety issue. Say if you were driving down the road and it were to lock up at 65-75mph it could cause loss of life accident then it would be recalled. Now it may be covered under the lemon law as it is a problem that continually has to be repaired. If you have had it repaired 3 times i would look into it.
Put down the Kool Aide, my friend.

Do you really think Toyota stopped the assembly lines because of some altruistic notion that they're looking after their buyers? C'mon...The NHTSA forced them to recall the cars and stop sales until the issue was remedied. (Source: http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...=74168&catid=2)

This after trying to cover up this dangerous problem since at least 2002 (Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/bu.../01toyota.html).

First they blamed the drivers (Source: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...otasuit29.html)

Then they tried to lie about the issue being closed (Source: http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...s_554531.shtml)

Then they said it was floormats (Source: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...agic-Accident/)

Finally, people started asking questions, then the truth came out...It's the throttle, STUPID! (Source: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...spx?ncid=11092
and http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/money/tim...blems-20091128)

I can assure you GM never went to this length to **** over it's customers.

Care to try again?

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 02-01-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hijack here, does anyone have a write up on how to install a tranny cooler on this car?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
x2. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Striker
Sorry to hijack here, does anyone have a write up on how to install a tranny cooler on this car?
There are several write-ups on how to do it. Do a site search for it and I'm sure it will turn up.

On mine, we mounted it forward of the radiator and low. It takes air from the lower grille and gets plenty of it. As far as the routing circuit, the fluid goes through factory trans cooler first, then the add-on cooler. I haven't got a trans temp gauge, so I can't vouch for temperature drop, but I do feel better knowing that I have nearly 1 square foot of cooler on my car.

There was one person here (I don't remember the name) who put a pair of these big 11 x 11 coolers on his car and bypassed the factory cooler altogether. I think he lives somewhere in the south where it gets really hot. Otherwise, that may be TOO much cooling most of the time for most other places.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

No where in that article did it say that it was imposed for them to shut them down it said it was voluntary by them.

As for gm not covering something up i'm sure it has if you dig enough you will find it. Did we forget the ford explorer fiasco? That went on for 10 years. How would you like to spend 60k on a new car(zo6) and have your roof blow off. How many of us paid to replace intake gaskets because of bad design (3800sfi)? The list goes on. All i'm saying is that all manufactures have some sort of problem. What it comes down to is how they will handle it. GM will never handle it like toyota will/did.They are planning on having dealers open 24hrs to fix the problem. Would gm? NO. The big three has always come up with some sort of excuse to not pay for it when i have a problem. Something as dumb as rust. When ever i had a problem with my import they fixed it asap. It did not sit a the lot for weeks or worse.

I'm not going to argue about a recall they all have one. It comes down to how it is handled in the end. And we all know how the three handle it.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

No where in that article did it say that it was imposed for them to shut them down it said it was voluntary by them.
Hmm...What part of this do you not understand:

"Federal officials took credit for the company's announcement Tuesday that it would stop selling the eight car and truck models while it prepared a remedy. But confusion over the accelerator pedal recall grew as the supplier for the targeted part said the move was triggered by fewer than a dozen complaints, and that it was already shipping replacement parts to Toyota factories"

Oh, and way to **** the consumer by sending replacement the parts to the factories FIRST. I guess they gotta get those assembly lines rolling again so they can sell more cars to pay for this debacle.

And BTW- I doubt this will solve the problems. Other Toyota models (like the Prius) that display this issue haven't even been recalled. I suspect this is a much bigger issue than just a washer. More likely, it's software and hardware, and Toyota doesn't know what to do. you'll be hearing more about this in the coming months. And if you don't believe me, read this titillating article:

Wozniak cites 'scary' Prius acceleration problem
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10445564-64.html

As for your examples, well, where to start:

"Did we forget the ford explorer fiasco? That went on for 10 years."
Last I heard, Ford was not owned by GM.

How would you like to spend 60k on a new car(zo6) and have your roof blow off.
Took GM about a year to realize this was an issue, did a fix, then issued a recall. This impacted about 22,000 cars. No injuries or deaths are related. Are you trying to compare Toyota's coverup of a potentially fatal design flaw in 2.3 million cars to GM's quick response to a MUCH LESS severe issue found in 22,000 cars?

How many of us paid to replace intake gaskets because of bad design (3800sfi)?
The intake gasket problem first showed up in the 1995 model year. This went on through 2002. Certainly a poor design, but no one was injured or died from this. Also, is it reasonable to compare the GM of today to the GM 8 to 15 years ago?

What about Toyota sludge motors? They spent 10 years denying they had a problem with sludge build-up in their engines. They got hit with a class-action lawsuit and guess what: They settled and had to deal with 3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by sludge. (Source: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ettlement.html)

You don't settle that kind of lawsuit unless you really do have a problem. This is not just a hot coffee spill at McDonalds.

In this case, Toyota was no better than GM in the same time period.

All i'm saying is that all manufactures have some sort of problem. What it comes down to is how they will handle it. GM will never handle it like toyota will/didI'm not going to argue about a recall they all have one. It comes down to how it is handled in the end. And we all know how the three handle it.
When you say GM will never handle it the way Toyota did, I hope you're right. Because if that involves covering it up, lying, then blaming the driver like Toyota did, I would want no part of that company.

Of course we'll probably never know the answer to your hypothetical because GM seems to have a better understanding of how to design engine management electronics so that the vehicles won't kill their occupants. The last time GM had recall even remotely similar to this (in terms of seriousness and scope) was nearly 30 years ago when GM had to replace defective bolts which, if failed, could cause loss of control. (Source: http://www.wnem.com/money/22360514/detail.html) Of course, no one died, and there were 22 injuries over 5.8 million cars. Still not as bad as Toyota today.

So, before you continue this incessant ballwashing of Toyota and it's vehicles, you may want to check the facts before you post.

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 02-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unsafe at any Speed II: The Prius Story.....new best seller????
Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Just because some bureaucrat took credit for in not the same thing. There was/is NO mandated stop that came from the NHTSA to stop assembly! "Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told WGN Radio in Chicago that the reason Toyota "decided to do the recall and to stop manufacturing is that we asked them to."

Ok i'll give you you know the recalls on gm so lets compare. How many recalls have gm and toyota had in the last 20years.

I am in no way ballwashing toyota i have never owned one and don't plan on it. They have nothing that appeals to me except the late supra. I'm just pointing out how the big three treat the customers. There's nothing like trying to fight to have your warranty cover for some little bs. I have own a honda accord, mitsubishi eclipse gsx, mustang gt, corvette c4 and many more. I am no brand snob. I just like cars.

Unsafe at any Speed II: The Prius Story.....new best seller????
You couldn't get me in one of those things if you paid me.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Just because some bureaucrat took credit for in not the same thing. There was/is NO mandated stop that came from the NHTSA to stop assembly! "Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told WGN Radio in Chicago that the reason Toyota "decided to do the recall and to stop manufacturing is that we asked them to."
Fair enough. It was not demanded, but they were asked. Your original post inferred that Toyota handled it the right way, but they had to be asked to do it. Since their track record on this issue has been so despicable, do you really believe that they would have stopped production without being asked by the Feds?

Ok i'll give you you know the recalls on gm so lets compare. How many recalls have gm and toyota had in the last 20years.
I have no idea, and I'll bet you don't either. I do know that, as of an hour ago, the latest Toyota recall is up to 7.6 million vehicles worldwide (Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...le-recall.html) making it the second worst of all time, behind Ford's 14 million over 13 model years for vehicle fires.

GM's last major recall of this severity was the one I mentioned in my previous post. To get a worse one, you have to go back to 1971 --NEARLY 40 YEARS AGO --when GM had to recall 6.7 million cars because of defective motor mounts. In this case, there 63 accidents, 18 injuries, and no deaths. It took GM 2 years from the reporting of the first complaint to issue a recall. That's certainly nothing to be proud of on GM's part, but that was 40 years ago. As of 2010, Toyota has been getting complaints about unintended acceleration since 2002 (coincidentally, when they went from cable throttle to drive-by-wire) and are JUST NOW recalling the cars. In the meantime, people have died, so I have no idea how anyone can say that Toyota has "done the right thing" and are "looking out for their customers" by running their repair facilities 24/7. That's the LEAST they should be doing!

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 02-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Default This just in!

BTW- If you don't believe everything posted regarding Toyota NOT doing the right thing, check this out:

LaHood Calls Toyota 'Safety Deaf'
Gov't Pressure Forced Company To Recall Cars, LaHood Says
KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writers
POSTED: 12:12 pm EST February 2, 2010
UPDATED: 2:37 pm EST February 2, 2010

WASHINGTON -- Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Toyota was slow to deal with safety problems with its gas pedals, asserting in an interview Tuesday that it took government pressure to force the company to recall millions of its most popular vehicles.

LaHood, in an interview with The Associated Press, defended his department's handling of the Toyota investigation and said the Japanese automaker was "a little safety deaf" during its probe of the problem. The company was so resistant, LaHood said, that it took a trip from federal safety officials to Japan to "wake them up" to the seriousness of the pedal problems.

"They should have taken it seriously from the very beginning when we first started discussing it with them," LaHood told AP. "Maybe they were a little safety deaf in their North American office until we went to Japan."

"If it had not been for the work of (the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) pushing Toyota to make the recall, traveling to Japan, meeting with the top officials of Toyota in Japan and telling them that their folks in the United States seem to be a little safety deaf when it came to us talking to them, I don't know if the recall would be taking place," LaHood said.

LaHood's remarks were his most pointed since Toyota recalled 2.3 million vehicles in the United States due to concerns over gas pedals that can stick when drivers step on the gas. The Jan. 21 recall followed a separate action in October to recall millions more over problems with pedals catching on floor mats.

"It took a trip from (NHTSA deputy administrator) Ron Medford to Japan to wake them up to the idea that this is a serious issue, it's a serious safety issue," LaHood said. "We're not going to sit by and let these kinds of crashes occur without them taking very, very quick action."

Article continued at
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...94/detail.html
Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

dude if Toyota has been dragging thier feet on these last 2-3 recalls on out of control cars, oil problems and the truck's rotting out..

Of course there is not as many..the real question is how many should there been, one dragging on since 2002????

and I can tell you its not the peddle its the computer..and its more than just the 8 models..and its Lexus and Prius. Toyotas coverup is not covering up this BS.
Sorry man..they stepped in a big pile and tracked it through the house..and everyone can see it and smell it yet they are blaming someone else (supplier)
No Toyota has a big problem in thier hand and recalls and what not..THEY KILLED PEOPLE and knew about it!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone tries to bring down the top dog. GM has such a bad wrap because they were #1 for so long every little thing got plastered on the news for weeks (much like Toyota is now). We'll see how well Toyota holds up now that common idiot knows you can die in an uncontrollable car or your truck breaks in half.

Makes your top getting glued back on and buying a revised metal lower intake manifold seem like routine maintenance to me.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, you bought a 300hp V8 FWD car and you didn't expect anything to be a little underrated? Transmissions have never been a GM strong suit, especially in W-bodies. Do some research before you buy a car next time.

Quick Reply: transmission recall...