LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cutout at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, just run it a couple times and see how it does. Probably won't see much of a difference with just a cutout, imo.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back in to post some results- car is bone stock except the K&N CAI, resonator delete- and cutout in place of it.

First run of the night was 14.244 @ 98.59 mph w/ a 2.232 sixty foot; cutout closed, headlight removed- and a FULL tank of gas (hadn't planned on racing, but the weather worked out ok)- this is at about 1300' elevation with temperatures ranging from about 75 to 69* by the time I left. Should've pushed harder the first time because they had just sprayed the VHT about 3 cars ahead of me.

Last run of the night was the best at Last run of the night was my PB for the night at 14.211 @ 100.23 mph w/ a 2.273 sixty foot - with my cutout open.

The other runs in between (only got 3 others in, 1 being a total waste b/c I was being dumb and let off ~10' early) were slower ET with mph in between the two above. Seemed like the cutout gained about 1 mph on average (taking into account that it cooled off a little, and I had less gas/weight as time went on).

I did the runs with trac/stab ctrl both off- and letting it auto shift 1-2, and then dropping to M to hold 2nd through the traps- that seemed to work great.

Also wanted to comment on this too:

Originally Posted by lemons12
And I gave you one. Nothing is my deal, I came in here to help you.
I was asking for results from LS4 owners- I don't care to hear generalizations or what would happen on your TA- or I would've posted the question in a general forum.

It is going to be slow with it opened or closed.
Its a nearly stock daily driver, of course its not going to be fast, that's what my monte is for.

All car types will gain from it in stock form. There are always a few in the batch that don't gain or lose ET. Don't ask me why.
That's why I asked- I've seen cars with no effect, and I've seen people lose ET before (on other platforms), hence why I came here to ask what others experiences were. I didn't come in here asking for generalizations about cars in general, that is why I came specifically to the LS4 sections.

I was just curious what other owners experiences were- and since you don't have one, I don't know why you're commenting.

Nothing is a big deal... You are being a girl about my answer. It is simple.
You gave me general info that I could've got anywhere, that is not what I asked for, then you got all worked up about it.

This is a public forum, your answers will vary greatly.
I know that, but I wanted to see on average what to expect. So just because answers vary so much, we shouldn't ask any questions about what 1/4 mile time or hp to expect ever? Come on man...

As I said, if my thread offends you for some reason- don't look at it.

You ls4 owners get so bent out of shape anytime I come in here and put in advice... Who cares.. The ls4 section is not private!

I came in to help.
Its not private, but I was asking for EXPERIENCE from other owners, not generalizations from people that don't even have one of these cars- otherwise I would've posted on one of the other forums I'm a member of, or in the general section. I'm not a moron when it comes to cars, I know cars generally gain mph- but I was asking how much, if any other people had.

There is no problem with you giving input on stuff you know specifically about in this section- if someone is asking for a spark plug recommendation, or for a good place to get heads ported- something that you may directly know about; but I was asking something specific to the LS4 cars from owners that had experience with an LS4 car, a cutout, and the track. I don't see why that's so hard to understand- then you kinda turn into a dick about it

I feel the car (ls4 grand prix) runs better in city with no cut out and runs better with open air flow at WOT.
That's what I was curious about because I feel the exact same thing, it seems to have more torque and low end grunt with it closed- but above like 4500 rpm at WOT- it seems quicker with it open. I had thought about trying a run with it closed to help through 1st, and then once I got close to the shift, I'd open it up- but I didn't get a chance.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
98% chance your car will pick up some, especially trap speed, with it open.
Damn it.... It hurts..... Ahhhhh.....

Wait, do I win a prize?