LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oil Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010 | 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
This is slightly off-topic, but still relevant: How important is it to "prime" a new oil filter by pouring in some of the new oil before installation? How much difference does it make?
I've always done it for all of my cars, though it's kinda of dicey on my Grand National, since the filter sits horizontally.

Basically, your engine builds oil pressure quicker after the oil change, because you're not waiting the extra second or so for the filter to fill.
Old 03-31-2010 | 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I need an oil change soon. I run Motul oils in my car. Some pretty expensive stuff but the reputation and quality is worth it.
Old 04-01-2010 | 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I've always done it for all of my cars, though it's kinda of dicey on my Grand National, since the filter sits horizontally.

Basically, your engine builds oil pressure quicker after the oil change, because you're not waiting the extra second or so for the filter to fill.
I'll be sure to have the filter primed before installing it. Everyone I asked has told me it's a small thing to do for peace of mind, and that it won't hurt anything as long as you don't get debris in the middle of the filter.

I was looking on Install University when I saw that this helps to minimize air through the oil pump, but that it's still "not necessary." I was thinking if it helps the engine then it should be considered necessary, unless it's something more of an obsessive ritual. So if an engine is started without a primed filter, how long does it take for the air in the filter to come out until it's safe to drive?

Speaking of oil filters, are Bosch and AC-Delco quality brands?
Old 04-01-2010 | 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
I'll be sure to have the filter primed before installing it. Everyone I asked has told me it's a small thing to do for peace of mind, and that it won't hurt anything as long as you don't get debris in the middle of the filter.

I was looking on Install University when I saw that this helps to minimize air through the oil pump, but that it's still "not necessary." I was thinking if it helps the engine then it should be considered necessary, unless it's something more of an obsessive ritual. So if an engine is started without a primed filter, how long does it take for the air in the filter to come out until it's safe to drive?

Speaking of oil filters, are Bosch and AC-Delco quality brands?
The difference between priming and not priming the filter may only amount to a second or two. But anytime the engine is running without oil circulation, you're getting unnecessary wear that, over time, is a problem. Anything you can do to minimize wear is worth the time.

As for the filter, I've never used Bosch before, so I can't speak to them. I use either AC-Delco or Mobil 1 filters. I like those because they have the anti-drainback valve that ensures they always have oil in them.

Quick Reply: Oil Performance