LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Shift kit or built trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift kit or built trans

Ok guys i need to know whether it would prolong my trans from breaking if i put a shift kit in, and how much longer. i dont really beat on it, but will hold it WOT every once in awhile getting onto the highway in the morning. I guess what im asking is, would it be better to just wait untill my trans craps out on me and send it to dave or put a shift kit in and try to make this one last as long as possible, keep in mind i work in a factory making prolly less then a 1/4 of what some of you guys make!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually some of us are in college or in high school. I think Nachos 18? 19? the youngest here. Not sure about it being able to lengthen the life of your trans. Id just get it built, and from what ive heard and from experience beating the hell out of your car helps. Dont baby it, i treated mine like sh t. Id beat on it pretty bad and it held up alot better then my 2nd one.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Dam you all! I'm almost 31! Fit as hell though. lean and mean and look 24. Always get carded when I buy my six pack, lol! 31............... crap!!

Just drive it man. Mines, still good and I'm at 45K and beat the crap out of it. I drive my car very.. very... hard. I maintain it though, and have spent $ on new brakes, tires, and service. Still looks new, and smells new. Get a trans cooler and a shift kit. Also, keep your trans fluid clean. Change it every 50k or sooner.

When it breaks, you'll know what broke, and what to upgrade
Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Dam you all! I'm almost 31! Fit as hell though. lean and mean and look 24. Always get carded when I buy my six pack, lol! 31............... crap!!

Just drive it man. Mines, still good and I'm at 45K and beat the crap out of it. I drive my car very.. very... hard. I maintain it though, and have spent $ on new brakes, tires, and service. Still looks new, and smells new. Get a trans cooler and a shift kit. Also, keep your trans fluid clean. Change it every 50k or sooner.

When it breaks, you'll know what broke, and what to upgrade
^^This is 100 agreed!!
And I'm a 80's baby!! (28)
Didn't know they even manufatured humans after that!! J/K!!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

tranny cooler and a shift kit are always a good idea in my opinion. They are relatively cheap and even if they don't lengthen the life of your transmission, the shift kit will make it feel better with quicker shifts (I am a believer is speeding up the shifts, not so much of adding washers to make it shift harder)
Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

well mine is just under 86k and it still has the original trans! thats starting to worry me a bit, so a shift kit wont put off the big bust any? in that case i should just take it out to the track and beat on it more often