LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Slight accident - how much for a front bumper cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight accident - how much for a front bumper cover?

I had a very low speed (3-5 mph) rear-ender recently (my fault), and didn't think much of it. Now I see a 3" wide strip of stress cracks all along the front cover and something is rattling behind the cover if I "bang it" with my hand (don't think that's normal). I also smell coolant and the engine fan seems to turn on more often than I remember, even in colder weather...not sure if it's related, however. The SS is still under factory warranty if it is not related to the accident

How much damage could I have done with such a low impact bump into a geo metro sized car? Just curious about a rough damage/cost estimate...I have a $500 deductible...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
I had a very low speed (3-5 mph) rear-ender recently (my fault), and didn't think much of it. Now I see a 3" wide strip of stress cracks all along the front cover and something is rattling behind the cover if I "bang it" with my hand (don't think that's normal). I also smell coolant and the engine fan seems to turn on more often than I remember, even in colder weather...not sure if it's related, however. The SS is still under factory warranty if it is not related to the accident

How much damage could I have done with such a low impact bump into a geo metro sized car? Just curious about a rough damage/cost estimate...I have a $500 deductible...
When I had my old car I wasnt paying attention when I was backing out of the garage and rubbed my back bumper up against my girl friends front bumper and took it to one of my buddys and even giving me a deal it was going to cost about $800. but he said hed knock off $300 if I took everything apart for them instead of them doing it. Also had a little bit of minor fender damage on her car also so idk.

I would just go get an estimate and see if its worth it paying the deductible.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in a slight accident myself. At Quicktrip, this old *** man ran head on into me about 10 mph and wrinkle and scuffed my front bumper I fixed it myself for $400.00! I know I know!! but the bumpers cost around $450ish
as a matter of fact check out GM Direct: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also I didn't file ANYTHING!!! I think sometimes you'll end up running your own insurance up! Isn't that just pathetic!!??!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07carlocrusader
Also I didn't file ANYTHING!!! I think sometimes you'll end up running your own insurance up! Isn't that just pathetic!!??!
yea and i think if you dont have the body shop do it on the side it would show up on like a auto report that it has been in a crash. i still havnt figured out how im going to do her car yet cuz i dont want it showing up on like a car report that it has been in a accident when it is just some minor scratches.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My front bumper paint is chipping along the edges. I should get it redone someday.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 07carlocrusader
I was in a slight accident myself. At Quicktrip, this old *** man ran head on into me about 10 mph and wrinkle and scuffed my front bumper I fixed it myself for $400.00! I know I know!! but the bumpers cost around $450ish
as a matter of fact check out GM Direct: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
I've used them many times for GM parts, however the SS Bumper Cover is the only part that I don't see in their parts list for the 2006 Monte

EDIT - never mind. Thanks for the link ...I just found it listed for $442.01 + $184.74 shipping = $626.75 + paint = OUCH!

Last edited by 2006 Silver Monte SS; 04-08-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've used them many times for GM parts, however the SS Bumper Cover is the only part that I don't see in their parts list for the 2006 Monte

EDIT - never mind...I just found it listed for $442.01 + shipping. Thanks for the link
No prob my friend!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

actually just picked up an aftermarket SS bumper from a local parts shop for like 60 bucks.. and im getting the front and rear painted for around 350 from a family friend. but shouldnt be too much more than that. i would check out that radiator though.. and the lines make sure its not leaking or worst.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah that is ouch!!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
yea and i think if you dont have the body shop do it on the side it would show up on like a auto report that it has been in a crash. i still havnt figured out how im going to do her car yet cuz i dont want it showing up on like a car report that it has been in a accident when it is just some minor scratches.
I don't think it will show up on a report unless insurance is involved. Don't take my word for it tho. Why would they put it on an accident report just for a few scratches anyway??
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM

WELL WHEN AN IDIOT ******* BACKED INTO MY CAR THEY ESTIMATE FOR IT WAS 800 AND THAS WAS THE HOOD!!! IM TALKIN A FIST SIZED DENT+CLEAR BRA...THEY SAID THEY WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE THE CLEAR BRA AND POP THE DENT...I WAS LIKE "****...MITE AS WELL BUY A BLACK HOOD COVER"

U CANT SEE IT BUT ITS THERE NEXT TO THE RIGHT HEADLIGHT SOMEWHAT
Old 04-09-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the $600+ include the bottom ground effect piece?

If not, WOW!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

No - $600+ for just the bumper cover...After some research, I found a place fairly close to my area (US Autobody Parts) that has a SS cover for $340 and will paint it for $180...sounds like a good deal to me. I just hope I can manage replacing the cover myself..can't be that difficult, can it?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just don't bend it installing. Maybe it's a two man job.

Quick Reply: Slight accident - how much for a front bumper cover?