LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Looking for retro style hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for retro style hood scoop

Hi guys
I am looking for a cowl induction type hood scoop for my 07 SS. The type that is open in the back by the windshield. I have seen the common types and in fact have a cowl induction hood on my 79 Camaro. BUT... I want one that is only about 1 to 1 1/2" tall and more square than long. Older Monte's and El Caminos used to have something like that but they have a raised ridge running down the middle, I want a flat one. Preferably a bond on ABS type, or bolt on. Anyone know any links to some sites???
Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

here you go i bought the scoop for my 80 from them

http://up22.com/scoopw1.htm
Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 AM
Launching!

Yeah, same place I bought the cowl induction hood for my 79 Camaro. Their hoods are nice, but they still don't have what I want. Their scoops are too tall or too narrow and long (standard cowl induction type). I want a flatter , wider type.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im looking for a hood myself just like the one you're looking for. I can't seem to find them anywhere and i dont want it to be to tall. about 1 or 2 inches is fine for me
Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
here you go i bought the scoop for my 80 from them

http://up22.com/scoopw1.htm
I like the SC-104. I think that would look rad on our cars. any W-body....
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How would you install these? Would it have to be cut into the hood or something? I was always curious about these.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
How would you install these? Would it have to be cut into the hood or something? I was always curious about these.
x2???????????????
Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Im no expert by any means, but I personally would not recommend cutting in to the hood, as it would severly degrade the integrity and shape... The metal is already under a lot of pressure trying to maintain the shape that it is currently in, and I can only speculate that one cut could cause some weird bends and twists.

Ithink Tappeter is asking about stick on ABS, and thats not a great option either.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
on my 80 i made a hole for the carb to fit through and then riveted it to the hood in counter sunk holes and filled them. a few years later i attempted to make it look flush, but the vibration ended up cracking the bondo after 2 years or so. some of the scoops on up22 have a flange on the inside so they can be bolted or riveted from the inside. mine didnt have that. like sc124 has a mounting flange on the inside. but its 3.5 inches tall and the OP doesnt want to go that tall.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 04-22-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Almost all fiberglass hood scoops are bonded and rivited to metal hoods. Using regular straight bondo will certainly cause cracking after a short period of time. You need to use special fiberglass reinforced filler, and I am guessing resin based epoxy would work best with rivets. Polyester based epoxy (bondo) cracks too easily under stress.
And yes, you can cut a hole in the metal hood, but it should be reinforced with additional welded metal if the hole is large. The hoods are not under stress per se, but they are light weight and thin, and opening a closing them with a large hole cut in them could easily cause distortion without some reinforcemwnt added..
Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i used filler with fiberglass in it. still cracked. im in no way a body man and it was my first attempt and will be my last. looked ok for a couple of years though.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Launching!

Yes...Bonding on fiberglass or plastic body parts to metal with filler to look seamless will always wind up cracking eventually. Thats why OEM bolts on, clips on or tapes on stuff like hood scoops if they are separate pieces and leaves the seam. You want a seamless hood scoop, buy a complete hood with a scoop already moulded in.
I my case, I would leave the seam like OEM and use bolt on or tape on.

Quick Reply: Looking for retro style hood scoop