LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Intake Swap, someone explain this

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd think they'd take a core or something.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there any other fab on the valley cover side of things if you go the katech route? im looking to do an ls6 myself just waiting on my friend to fork it over.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

You can get a LS2 valley tray on E Bay for around 40.00 with shipping. Once you get it home just cut and plug the opsu port with a pipe plug. The rear manifold PCV fitting will go to the LS6 vacuum fitting on the pass side (rwd) manifold inlet side. The PCV system that is built into the tray is supposed to be superior. You don't need a opsu to run the engine and if you make a jumper wire, you won't see a oil light. If you really wanna run a opsu then just angle the fitting as mentioned earlier. The LS2 tray will bolt right on and you won't have to plug anything in the engine since there is no DOD oil feed in the tray. If you keep you stock tray, then you might need some button head bolts to eliminate the possibility of the intake bottoming out on regular bolt heads. Also, with the stock tray, you may need to grind part of the manifold in order to make it fit the valley cover. Some LS4 trays or DOD trays are thicker then others.
I'm having some cast LS4 TB adapters made. They should be done here real soon. We're probably going to make 10. Knock the rear vacuum fitting out of the back of the manifold and plug it with a 1 31/32" shallow freeze plug with silicone. Use LS6 injectors and fuel rail, with Injector adapters. I got mine from E Bay for 24.00 EV1 to EV6.
In order to fit the injectors and fuel rail you will need to cut the nub off of the back of the alt bracket. Look at your alt, and and you'll see the nub I'm talking about that goes over the fuel rail. I bought a alt bracket off E Bay for 30.00 and modified it (it weighs 13lbs btw!) You can pull the bracket to cut it, or you can cut the nub with it still attached. It's very easy! I'm hopping to do this next week and then get tunned. No more DOD!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
You can get a LS2 valley tray on E Bay for around 40.00 with shipping. Once you get it home just cut and plug the opsu port with a pipe plug. The rear manifold PCV fitting will go to the LS6 vacuum fitting on the pass side (rwd) manifold inlet side. The PCV system that is built into the tray is supposed to be superior. You don't need a opsu to run the engine and if you make a jumper wire, you won't see a oil light. If you really wanna run a opsu then just angle the fitting as mentioned earlier. The LS2 tray will bolt right on and you won't have to plug anything in the engine since there is no DOD oil feed in the tray. If you keep you stock tray, then you might need some button head bolts to eliminate the possibility of the intake bottoming out on regular bolt heads. Also, with the stock tray, you may need to grind part of the manifold in order to make it fit the valley cover. Some LS4 trays or DOD trays are thicker then others.
I'm having some cast LS4 TB adapters made. They should be done here real soon. We're probably going to make 10. Knock the rear vacuum fitting out of the back of the manifold and plug it with a 1 31/32" shallow freeze plug with silicone. Use LS6 injectors and fuel rail, with Injector adapters. I got mine from E Bay for 24.00 EV1 to EV6.
In order to fit the injectors and fuel rail you will need to cut the nub off of the back of the alt bracket. Look at your alt, and and you'll see the nub I'm talking about that goes over the fuel rail. I bought a alt bracket off E Bay for 30.00 and modified it (it weighs 13lbs btw!) You can pull the bracket to cut it, or you can cut the nub with it still attached. It's very easy! I'm hopping to do this next week and then get tunned. No more DOD!
SO will the oil pressure light just be on all the time sense the OPSU tower is just cut off?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

The only real problem I foresee is the crossover pipe interfering with the tb.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
SO will the oil pressure light just be on all the time sense the OPSU tower is just cut off?
Yes, you will just need a jumper wire. I'm not going to pay over 300 just to have a sensor. Plus, I might add a oil cooler, and the oil filter adapters have provisions for a opsu, or can have one easily added. Oil temps get over 220 in the summer. I have hit 260 once! (and GM recommends CONVENTIONAL oil!)
Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, you will just need a jumper wire. I'm not going to pay over 300 just to have a sensor. Plus, I might add a oil cooler, and the oil filter adapters have provisions for a opsu, or can have one easily added. Oil temps get over 220 in the summer. I have hit 260 once! (and GM recommends CONVENTIONAL oil!)
So just wire it to a 12v source to keep the light off?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
So just wire it to a 12v source to keep the light off?
Not really sure yet. I think we have to ground one of the wire out.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Not really sure yet. I think we have to ground one of the wire out.
I'd much rather have an Oil Pressure gauge than the dummy light. Might try to wire one up elsewhere.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

No kidding gauge over idiot light
Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the write up it was pretty informative. and yeah idiot lights suck they dont go on till the ***** already hit the fan.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

I haven't found any LS2 valley covers on Ebay, but have come across some LS3 ones. Anyone know, will these work? I would assume they are are similar to the LS2. If they do work, any other adaptation issues above and beyond the LS2 covers????
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

ls3 cover is the same as the ls2 I have one

Quick Reply: Intake Swap, someone explain this