LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oscillating Noise Coming from Right Rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oscillating Noise Coming from Right Rear

I've had to put up with a really annoying noise for several months now. The best way to describe it is that it sounds kinda like the flying cars from "The Jetsons". It's like an oscillating humming sound that speeds up or slows down based on how fast the car is going. It is the worst around 35-40 mph and nearly goes away around 85 mph. It is beginning to drive me mad.

So a couple weeks ago I decided to do something about it. After consulting several car guys including my dad who's worked on cars just about his whole life, everyone was convinced it was the hub bearing--so I replaced it on that side. Noise is still there.

So, my question to anyone who has experience with this, or anyone who wants to make an educated guess, is twofold:

1. Is the hub the problem?
2. Did I possibly change the wrong side? (It definitely sounds like it is coming from the right-rear--passengers in the car agree)

Thank you for any help you can give!

EDIT: It's not the tires...I got four new tires after the sound started because I needed them, but it did not solve the problem.

I'm thinking it could possibly be a warped rotor...can drilled rotors be machined?

Last edited by kl_237; 08-31-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

take it to a garage and have them test the front hubs(drive wheels) and if they test fine then look into the other rear hub.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I am hearing the same thing.... I thought it was the tires, My SS still has the Eagle RSA's on it and I didn't think that they were that noisy... let us know what you find
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kl_237
I've had to put up with a really annoying noise for several months now. The best way to describe it is that it sounds kinda like the flying cars from "The Jetsons". It's like an oscillating humming sound that speeds up or slows down based on how fast the car is going. It is the worst around 35-40 mph and nearly goes away around 85 mph. It is beginning to drive me mad.

So a couple weeks ago I decided to do something about it. After consulting several car guys including my dad who's worked on cars just about his whole life, everyone was convinced it was the hub bearing--so I replaced it on that side. Noise is still there.

So, my question to anyone who has experience with this, or anyone who wants to make an educated guess, is twofold:

1. Is the hub the problem?
2. Did I possibly change the wrong side? (It definitely sounds like it is coming from the right-rear--passengers in the car agree)

Thank you for any help you can give!

EDIT: It's not the tires...I got four new tires after the sound started because I needed them, but it did not solve the problem.

I'm thinking it could possibly be a warped rotor...can drilled rotors be machined?
It sounds like the hub is the problem. I agree with 2005gxp, make sure to test each side (including the front) and don't assume it's the side where the noise is coming from. Here's why...

Even though the chances are slim, it is possible you changed the wrong side. I run a used car dealership that also has service. We have changed hundreds of wheel bearings and we have seen a few vehicles come in with the typical wheel bearing "hum" coming from the left rear side (or whatever side). We change the left rear hub and sure enough, the noise was still there It confused the hell out of us lol. So, we changed the other side and the noise was gone. This does not happen often, but we have experienced it. Now we make sure to test each side before we make a final diagnosis. It's also possible that both hubs are bad.

Hope this helps, let us know what you find.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

I'd have to agree with others and say that you repaired the wrong one (not that they both weren't due anyway). I've replaced noisy front brakes and had it turn out to be the rears, and vice-versa...the Doppler effect can play tricks on you with sounds.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input, guys. Man, I would hate to spend another $90 on a hub and it still not fix the problem. Not to mention it was kind of a bitch to change the first one.

Also, how do I "test" a hub?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kl_237
Thanks for all the input, guys. Man, I would hate to spend another $90 on a hub and it still not fix the problem. Not to mention it was kind of a bitch to change the first one.

Also, how do I "test" a hub?
Well, from my experience, you can test them using different methods (without a diagnostic trouble code):

Road testing for which side- While driving your car on a straightaway, slightly turn the wheel left. But not enough to yank the car off the road lol. Listen for a change in sound. Does the hum get worse? Does the hum get quieter? Try this at various speeds to make sure you're hearing the same thing. If it gets louder while turning the wheel left, the right side is the bad side. Repeat this for the other side. You also need to listen if it's coming from the front or rear. Having a second set of ears is always helpful, so grab a friend for the ride.

Lift testing for front hubs only- Put the car on a lift (one where the wheels can spin freely) and have someone put it in drive. Slowly accelerate up to the MPH where the sound is the loudest. Have someone listen to each front wheel. You kind of need a trained ear for this, but listen for differences in noise levels for each of the front wheels. Is one side louder than the other? If yes, then the louder wheel has the bad hub. If they are both bad, this might be a little harder to confirm. But a good hub should spin pretty quietly with minimal "hum."

These aren't exactly "fool proof" methods but they seem to do the trick.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Lift the car and spin the tires one by one until one makes an abnormal sound. It will grind or sound "chunky".

Turning from left to right isn't the best way because you still have all four tires making contact and you're changing the angle of each one slightly which will sound different but isn't a sure fire diagnostic.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Teching In

Default were you able to fix the noise?

Hey guys, just bought a 2002 Z28 and it is making the same kind of noise, an oscillating noise that seems to come from the right rear. Thought that it might be a bearing or something?

kl_327 were you ever able to fix the humming?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Quick Reply: Oscillating Noise Coming from Right Rear