LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Another Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Don't know about winter, but I've hear negative things about the KDWs. I think the tread pattern fools people. Both straight line and in corners seems to leave a lot to be desired. Personally, I've had really good luck with Dunlop Duranza DZ101s. They're a little pricey but they really do hook. No word on mileage yet though...they're pretty soft when they get warm.
I can assure you, the KDW's are a far better tire than the OE. I can pull higher acceleration numbers, deceleration numbers, and lateral numbers with the KDW's over the OE for a fact. In addition, they are far superior with wet traction that it's not even funny. If you've not personally driven some miles with them on your vehicle, I would take what "I've heard negative things about," with a grain of salt.

As I posted above, they are NOT for use in freezing conditions. Period.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SidewaysV8
I can assure you, the KDW's are a far better tire than the OE. I can pull higher acceleration numbers, deceleration numbers, and lateral numbers with the KDW's over the OE for a fact. In addition, they are far superior with wet traction that it's not even funny. If you've not personally driven some miles with them on your vehicle, I would take what "I've heard negative things about," with a grain of salt.

As I posted above, they are NOT for use in freezing conditions. Period.
I was comparing them to other performance oriented tires. I guess SCCA racers (both SOLO and several road classes) have no idea what they're talking about. I've even ridden in cars on the Auto-X course with these tires. The drivers all say that they wouldn't use them if BFG didn't sponsor them. They chunk and skip and all sorts of good stuff. As far as tread compound, they felt like my old sumitomos. Extremely hard. Why would I pay more for a tire that doesn't deliver what more economical tires can? Have you looked at tests of the the tire recently? It doesn't even come close to being in the top of its class. I'm not saying it's a bad tire, I'm just saying that money can be better spent with other products, unless you want the most bad *** looking tire in the parking lot.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 PM

A totally different tire to consider would be the Kumo Ecsta LX Platinum's. They are available in the stock size and are a good all around tire. I have had them on for about 20k miles and them seem to be wearing pretty good. As expected the fronts are wearing a little bit faster.

I live in upstate NY and driving in the snow part of life atleast 4 months out of the year. I have been very happy with their ability in the snow. No they don't handle as well as a snow tire but again for a year round tire they are good. My wife is the primary driver of the car and I am confident with her driving around in January with my two boys in the car.

If you are looking for great summer handling these aren't the tires. They do squeal rather easily when cornering hard and I don't have the lateral confidence in them that I would with a good set of summer tires.

Overall they are a good all around tire, good wear, and fairly cheap price. $159, and $138 for front and rear's respectively.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Originally Posted by BlueChevyGuy
- Contrary to the reviews on TireRack, I find the tires much louder than the stock tires.
Oh good god these are significantly more quite than the stock tires on my car.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I was comparing them to other performance oriented tires. I guess SCCA racers (both SOLO and several road classes) have no idea what they're talking about. I've even ridden in cars on the Auto-X course with these tires. The drivers all say that they wouldn't use them if BFG didn't sponsor them. They chunk and skip and all sorts of good stuff. As far as tread compound, they felt like my old sumitomos. Extremely hard. Why would I pay more for a tire that doesn't deliver what more economical tires can? Have you looked at tests of the the tire recently? It doesn't even come close to being in the top of its class. I'm not saying it's a bad tire, I'm just saying that money can be better spent with other products, unless you want the most bad *** looking tire in the parking lot.

Yes I have, but I don't need someone else to tell me what I already know, since I actually own them and drive on them everyday.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlettireMakeModel=BFGoodrich_g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2_1
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

That test is 2 years old, I promise technology has improved vastly.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Falkens SUCK in the snow.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Junkie

I actually like my HTRZ III's. They are a vast improvement over any other Sumitomo tire in the past. They are also very cost-effective if you're like my, and beat the absolute **** out of your tires
Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

That test is 2 years old, I promise technology has improved vastly.
In your opinion. So what recent tests are you referring to then? Links?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cthorny528
A totally different tire to consider would be the Kumo Ecsta LX Platinum's. They are available in the stock size and are a good all around tire. I have had them on for about 20k miles and them seem to be wearing pretty good. As expected the fronts are wearing a little bit faster.
I live in upstate NY and driving in the snow part of life atleast 4 months out of the year. I have been very happy with their ability in the snow. No they don't handle as well as a snow tire but again for a year round tire they are good. My wife is the primary driver of the car and I am confident with her driving around in January with my two boys in the car.
If you are looking for great summer handling these aren't the tires. They do squeal rather easily when cornering hard and I don't have the lateral confidence in them that I would with a good set of summer tires.

I second this. I've had these on for about 8,000 miles and have been very happy so far. They've handle some very heavy rain with no issues. I have a snow set, so i won't be able to provide insight on that, but as a comfortable daily driver set, these are a very good value.

Overall they are a good all around tire, good wear, and fairly cheap price. $159, and $138 for front and rear's respectively
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

In your opinion. So what recent tests are you referring to then? Links?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Compared with the test you listed from '08 where the KDW came in last, I'd say your money can be spent better elsewhere. Like I've been saying the whole time, it's not a *bad* tire, you can just get a whole lot more for your money.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Compared with the test you listed from '08 where the KDW came in last, I'd say your money can be spent better elsewhere. Like I've been saying the whole time, it's not a *bad* tire, you can just get a whole lot more for your money.
Were you bitten by a rabid KDW at some point?

So the C&D test is one year newer. wow.

I'd say it faired pretty well if you look at the skidpad numbers both wet and dry. It equaled the benchmark Michelin in the dry autocross, (which costs $70 more per tire than the KDW )and finished 4th in the wet autocross. Put down the haterade dude.

Last edited by SidewaysV8; 09-23-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brian396
Oh good god these are significantly more quite than the stock tires on my car.
Monte Carlo and Impala SS's came from the factory with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires (as stated in my post.) My opinion is that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires that were just installed on my car are quite a bit noisier than the Goodyear RS-A tires that came on the car when I bought it new. Once the Goodyears hit 50K miles, then they began to drone a bit on the highway. Until that point, they were much quieter than my new Michelins.

Grand Prix GXP's came from the factory with Bridgestone Potenza tires.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Were you bitten by a rabid KDW at some point?

So the C&D test is one year newer. wow.

I'd say it faired pretty well if you look at the skidpad numbers both wet and dry. It equaled the benchmark Michelin in the dry autocross, (which costs $70 more per tire than the KDW )and finished 4th in the wet autocross. Put down the haterade dude.
No hate, just stating an opinion and sharing some facts I've gathered. In the end this is what a forum is for.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
I have the Hankook V4 es, they are great in the dry and rain but haven' driven them in the winter yet.
they suck
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally, I've had really good luck with Dunlop Duranza DZ101s.
So what size Direzza's did you end up getting? They're on my short list for tires.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueChevyGuy
My opinion is that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires that were just installed on my car are quite a bit noisier than the Goodyear RS-A tires that came on the car when I bought it new.
That thru me off a little. I’m really impressed with my Michelins. Stick like glue on dry pavement, haven’t had them hydroplane in the rain. I haven’t had them in the snow yet. I’m sorry to here your not happy with them, but my experience with them I would recommend them to anyone. However with my gutted cat and 3” exhaust I may not be hearing what your hearing.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Teching In

I have the BFG KDW's, and after putting about 30k on them, I can honestly say I'll never own another set. The sidewalls squirm nervously when driven hard. I have not been impressed with much of any aspect of this tire, other than their looks.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
Falkens SUCK in the snow.
That's a pretty bold way of saying it. Even on FWD?

I checked a few more places and by the time it was all over with the kuhmo's were the same price and i like their pattern.
In foresight, i need something more oriented for daily driving than having to worry about corners.

May have to stop by on the way home then...
Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM

The other advantage to the Kumo's is they can be rotated side to side which is great for the gxp's.

Quick Reply: Another Tire Thread