LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Reverse to Drive - Loud Tranny Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse to Drive - Loud Tranny Clunk

Over the past 4 months, my GXP has developed a loud and fairly harsh clunk when I shift from reverse to drive. It's almost as if one of the mounts are destroyed...but ALL mounts are in perfect condition with no excess play or cracks in them. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is this really considered normal? I've already flipped the dog-bone mount, and there is not too much movement of the engine when holding the brake and applying torque.

My local GM dealer says that's perfectly normal for a LS4 car. I took it in for hard knock upon startup, and they're replacing the lifters iin it now. They took the tranny apart to see what could be causing it....even the head tranny service tech agreed that the clunk was NOT normal. With it apart, they see nothing that is causing it, and again, according to GM, this IS normal. They had an 2008 Impala SS in there as well for an oil change, and they said that it did it as well.

Regardless, after some lengthy talks with the head tranny service tech dude, he opted to do a few things in the valve body to increase the line pressure, and firm up the shifts. I'm kind of interested to see how it does.

My '99 Regal GS did NOT do this ever. My GXP has 61k miles on it now.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does this as well and clunks pretty good in manual mode when you shift into first. In fact mine is starting to clunk shifting into first even not in manual mode when i come to a stop. While I dont think its normal or right it seems common among these cars. My tranny is on its way out I am pretty sure as I get issues with the car wont move until it get reved a little then slams into gear just sitting at lights or shifting into drive. Its done it off and on for the last 5 to 10k miles but seems to be getting worse. I hope to get it replace, put a tranny cooler in and get a tune soon after if I do get it replaced under warranty.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles75
Over the past 4 months, my GXP has developed a loud and fairly harsh clunk when I shift from reverse to drive. It's almost as if one of the mounts are destroyed...but ALL mounts are in perfect condition with no excess play or cracks in them. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is this really considered normal? I've already flipped the dog-bone mount, and there is not too much movement of the engine when holding the brake and applying torque.

My local GM dealer says that's perfectly normal for a LS4 car. I took it in for hard knock upon startup, and they're replacing the lifters iin it now. They took the tranny apart to see what could be causing it....even the head tranny service tech agreed that the clunk was NOT normal. With it apart, they see nothing that is causing it, and again, according to GM, this IS normal. They had an 2008 Impala SS in there as well for an oil change, and they said that it did it as well.

Regardless, after some lengthy talks with the head tranny service tech dude, he opted to do a few things in the valve body to increase the line pressure, and firm up the shifts. I'm kind of interested to see how it does.

Mine does this as well,2008 Imp SS 29,753mile on her...

Originally Posted by jdwilks
Mine does this as well and clunks pretty good in manual mode when you shift into first. In fact mine is starting to clunk shifting into first even not in manual mode when i come to a stop. While I dont think its normal or right it seems common among these cars. My tranny is on its way out I am pretty sure as I get issues with the car wont move until it get reved a little then slams into gear just sitting at lights or shifting into drive. Its done it off and on for the last 5 to 10k miles but seems to be getting worse. I hope to get it replace, put a tranny cooler in and get a tune soon after if I do get it replaced under warranty.
Mines gets up to 3700RPM before it gets into gear...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Mine does have a somewhat loud clunk when shifting into any gear really. I had a loud clunk WOT shifting 1st to 2nd tapshift for the first time a couple days ago. Mine does the same thing at a stop... shudders then clunks. I'm afraid to ever get on it anymore.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Miles75

I've had these problems too. Check the torque on the axle nut. It might've backed off. If that doesnt fix it, remove the hub/ bearing and put some red lock tight on the splines. Let it set for a few hours, that should fix it good.

I dont think GM fitted the axles right with the hub/ bearing.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

The few times I have gone WOT I am now getting the clunk from 1st to 2nd.

Quick Reply: Reverse to Drive - Loud Tranny Clunk