LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

DOD AFM question

Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOD AFM question

When slowing down from say 45-55mph to a dead stop at what speed does it kick back to 8cyl for you guys. My car has been staying in 4 cyl. mode all the way to 15mph and the steering wheel and brake pedal shake pretty bad (basicly the whole car shakes). But if I put in 3rd and it stays in 8 all the time no problems.

It's still under warranty so I'll probably take it to the dealer. I just wanted to know when it kicks back to 8 when you slow down so they don't act like I am crazy. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jabronie78
When slowing down from say 45-55mph to a dead stop at what speed does it kick back to 8cyl for you guys. My car has been staying in 4 cyl. mode all the way to 15mph and the steering wheel and brake pedal shake pretty bad (basicly the whole car shakes). But if I put in 3rd and it stays in 8 all the time no problems.

It's still under warranty so I'll probably take it to the dealer. I just wanted to know when it kicks back to 8 when you slow down so they don't act like I am crazy. Thanks.
Sounds like a Lew question. I've never heard of one doing THAT!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine doesn't shake at all, but it usually kicks back around 20ish mph for me, so 15 doesn't sound very far off.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, 15-20mph is the cutoff point...

and as for the shaking/vibration when switching, yep... that happens too... others have mentioned it in the past, so I checked it out with my own car - I turned the DOD back on, and yes, mine does it too...

but like you said, when you have it in 3rd so it stays in 8 cyl mode, it does not happen...

it's a DOD issue... definitely not what it should do, but others have been told by their dealers that it's "normal"...

but it's definitely not normal... it doesn't do it when the car is new! I periodically checked my mileage with DOD on and off during the first couple years I had the car, and it didn't do it then either... but as I got up into higher mileage, it started to do it... it's definitely an issue with DOD...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I just noticed mine doing it and I just put 50k on mine. I was thinking it might be the magnaflow exhaust (that's what the dealer might say) but like you were saying Lew, it never did it before.

I thought that it maybe was supposed to kick back to 8 earlier because sometimes it does switch to 8 at 45 mph and stays there. Plus when I slow down and tap the gas it stays in 8 till I stop.

I might still take it to the dealer to see what they say. If they don't do anything I will probably just tune out the DOD.

Thanks guys.

Search this Thread