LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oil burning TSB

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burning TSB

Hey guys I thought I saw an old posting about this a while back, I scanned the post real quick and couldn't find it... I am burning about a quart every 1000 miles in my MCSS, has anybody taken their car in to get the TSB work done?? What did it cost, I know 1 Qt every 1k is not a lot, but it is a pain every other week to add almost a quart of oil to the car.. Thanks
Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by MC06SS
Hey guys I thought I saw an old posting about this a while back, I scanned the post real quick and couldn't find it... I am burning about a quart every 1000 miles in my MCSS, has anybody taken their car in to get the TSB work done?? What did it cost, I know 1 Qt every 1k is not a lot, but it is a pain every other week to add almost a quart of oil to the car.. Thanks
Have you noticed anything leaking from the car or do you think its entering the combustion chambers itself and being consumed by the engine?

sorry but not sure what original TSB was for
Old 12-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

i know mine burns some on rare occasions shifting from 4-8 cyl mode ... because i can see the cloud behind me

im going to take my car into the dealer sometime here in the next week or two and see if my warranty is still good, and if so, have them check out my tranny and oil burning thing ... who knows maybe theyll give me a new motor or tranny ... worst case scenario, they say no entirely, and i drive away ...

i remember reading something in that TSB that someone posted that its normal for LSx engines to burn some oil ... but im at about 1 quart every 1800-2500 miles running synthetic ... i wonder if switching back to good ole dino will help it keep the oil where it should be ...

how many times do you need to change the oil in succession when switching back from synthetic to get rid of it all ?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My ISS didn't burn a drop of oil, I was lucky. I believe GM's specifications is a quart per 2000 miles or something of the sort. From what I've read they don't replace the motor, but re-ring the bad cylinders.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Launching!

hey i wouldnt mind them fixing it ... as long as it was fixed
Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Staging Lane

Hey I had the post of this issue earlier on but anyway..this issue can't be fixed unfortunately..I took it to the dealer and they said our engines do that even tho there may be some tht don't(the lucky ones) but most of the 5.3 L engines burn a quart of oil and literally they had no reason, they said you can help it out by using royal purple oil or mobil 1 but we will still burn oil. Sucks but hey Gotta love the power
Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

try kenndall it the only thing we can use in the wifey rav4 because itburns oil like crazy and a few gto people i know run good stuff