LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Remote start replace with aftermarket ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start replace with aftermarket ?

Would it be cheaper to get the remote start updated I know my friend just recently has his done but was done under warranty . They replaced a couple of things on it. I got a quote on an alarm with remote start for 300. What do you guys think. Btw the problem with current remote is the range you have to be in front of the car so it can work(yes battery has been replaced)
Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

probably not cheaper for a upgrade, i just had a viper remote starter installed with manual transmission it was $275 i can start my car from the basement of my house with the car in the garage.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kresse42
probably not cheaper for a upgrade, i just had a viper remote starter installed with manual transmission it was $275 i can start my car from the basement of my house with the car in the garage.
Yeah I think I'm going with an aftermarket
Old 12-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same exact thing. U have to be almost 5 ft in front of the car for the keyless remote to work, i tried the spare remote but its the same thing. Its kinda annoying/embarrassing when some ones ask me to, "start ur car so I can here how it sounds" and where about 25ft away and I have to walk over to the car to remote start it. I want to research the new gm 2way remote to see if it will work on the 06 mc with remote start, im a big fan of anything factory. http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/det...prod_id=130307.
I still may go with the Viper 5901, but the only thing i hate about aftermarket alarms is the cheap siren that comes with them nothing about them screams factory. may just get it installed without the siren/chirp thingy(LOL). The price between the two are about the same, considering that; for me the better deal would be to go aftermarket and plus the range with the vipers are almost second to none.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's s TSB for poor range of the remote start. They replace the board, antenna, and remotes. This was done on my Impala and I can start it from 200 feet away, if I have a clear shot at the front of the car.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed. i had the same problem and they replaced all my stuff as well. works good now.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ATLterrell
Mine does the same exact thing. U have to be almost 5 ft in front of the car for the keyless remote to work, i tried the spare remote but its the same thing. Its kinda annoying/embarrassing when some ones ask me to, "start ur car so I can here how it sounds" and where about 25ft away and I have to walk over to the car to remote start it. I want to research the new gm 2way remote to see if it will work on the 06 mc with remote start, im a big fan of anything factory. http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/det...prod_id=130307.
I still may go with the Viper 5901, but the only thing i hate about aftermarket alarms is the cheap siren that comes with them nothing about them screams factory. may just get it installed without the siren/chirp thingy(LOL). The price between the two are about the same, considering that; for me the better deal would be to go aftermarket and plus the range with the vipers are almost second to none.
Yeah it's embarrassing having to be right in front of the car so u can use the remote start . I'm really considering going aftermarket unless the fix to this problem is less than 300
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 PM

I was told $500 to replace/program Remote Control Door Lock Receiver and replace key fobs. $400 of this is parts, fobs are $130 each.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

you should get the viper you can start with your cell phone im getting that for my girlfreind for her birthday .
Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neilownz
I think it's like 100 bucks a year for the phone service thing.
its a free app i downloaded it on my android

Quick Reply: Remote start replace with aftermarket ?