LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Inquired GM Regarding Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91_rs-teal
neat, a recall would b nice for sure
"National Highway and Traffic Safety Association are currently investigating a possible recall for failure".

I would interpet this to mean if you have had a problem file a complaint with the NHSA.

Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RKO
Got a call last night to let me know they do not have any new information for me. I was told they still have people who have not responded internally and I will get another call Monday.

I found on wikipedia, reading about the VTi transmission used in Saturns from 2002 to 2004 that they were given an extended warranty of 5 year 75k miles due to high failure rates. Sounds pretty crappy to me since pretty much all of our cars have a 5 year 100k. I have serious doubts a recall will be made. The best case scenario I could imagine is extending the 5 years to 7-10 and keeping the 100k. Personally I see nothing happening given the junk 5 year 75k warranty only given for the Saturn problem.
You have a point here, and the past precedent gives a good indication of what GM may do in the future...BUT...If the NHTSA forces GM to recall and address the issue, they'll have no choice but to comply.

Can you pass along the phone number you used to call GM? I'm thinking that we need to bring more visibility to this problem and getting as many members as we can to do what you did, as well as call the NHTSA, will perhaps motivate GM to take some action.

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
If they just extended the warranty I wouldn't really be interested in a trans that's not "fixed" and just going to leave me stranded again...
Agreed. And I'm certain GM could address it, but they would have to revise the transmission to do so. And it probably wouldn't even be a major revision, just pricey for them, as they would need to fix a major component in almost 85,000 cars.

Originally Posted by reality1
"National Highway and Traffic Safety Association are currently investigating a possible recall for failure".

I would interpet this to mean if you have had a problem file a complaint with the NHSA.

Jim
And I think this is what we need to do!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

This reminds me of the 8 year, 100k mile extension to the CVT's in the Muranos. I'm quite sick of replacing them too!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
This reminds me of the 8 year, 100k mile extension to the CVT's in the Muranos. I'm quite sick of replacing them too!
A buddy of mine just traded in his 2004 Murano because he was on trans #3 and hated the way Nissan handled it. He got a 2011 Equinox.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS4:20
But the media would probably blow the **** out of this..
The media? I think the media would be like what the hell is a LS4?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brian396
The media? I think the media would be like what the hell is a LS4?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
A buddy of mine just traded in his 2004 Murano because he was on trans #3 and hated the way Nissan handled it. He got a 2011 Equinox.
I don't think I've seen one on #3 yet personally. But I've replaced a lot lately, and most would have been out of factory warranty, but fell within the extension on the warranty. I haven't had one yet that wasn't covered - yet.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

So today I received a call back from GM....

I received two answers regarding the max torque input:
Answer one, All responses back say they do not know the performance specs of the "high performance" transmission.
Answer two, We cannot give that information out to the public. --

I know I was just talking with a messenger, however I was pressing hard for a small shred of information. Apparently GM doesn't know the spec of the HD transmission. Or they are hiding it.

I'm having the manager call me back to explain in full detail why this information is secret/hidden/unknown.

And as far as the recall comment from before, it was a made a point this time a key word was added to the statement - "IF" "IF the nthsa...."

This is crap, now I want to know even more what is going on. I'll find more people to contact.

I asked for all answers to be put in writing and Emails to me... If that ever comes, I'll post it up.

Quick Reply: Inquired GM Regarding Transmission