LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Removing Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Serpentine Belt

I've researched this a great deal online, and have studied my GXP with the passenger side front tire removed a great deal this past weekend. The idler between the water pump and PS pump is whining like crazy. I know of the special tool required, EN-47988 Serpentine Belt Tension Unloader, but would rather not spend $100+ on it, if there is a more common way to remove this belt.

Searching through some old threads on here, "Supercatxr7" says the following:

"Take off wheel and plastic panel that covers harmonic balancer and such. You will see the spring for the tensioner. Use a pry bar and push down on the top of the spring area and pull off the belt."

He has an 11 second MC SS, so it appears he knows his way around these motors pretty well. However, the method he mentions seems like a good way to also break something to me. Is he prying up on the inner fender sheet metal wall, and pushing down directly on top of the spring? Kind of vague in the description there. I even read of a guy trying this, and having close to an additional $200 in repairs because of the shortcut.

What is the common knowledge nowadays for removing this belt, other than buying the tool? Is his shortcut the simplest method, or is there another combination of tools that can do it? I tried every combination of tools I have, and nothing would reach the 1/2" hole well enough for me to put some oomph on it. If I need to just buy the tool, I'll buy it.

Thank you in advance for your input!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed the passenger side tire and inside trim piece, loosened the belt tensioner and removed with screw driver from the top pulley.Then put on the same way just turning the harmonic balancer with ratchet and a screw driver under the belt.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

I use a 1" wrench that is long and slim. I place it in between the idler pulley and the PS pump. Using a little lube, I lift up on the belt and slide it off, pulling the belt towards myself and going up over the PS pulley with the wrench and belt. Quite easy and takes about 2mins.
Reverse for install.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Teching In

I just pulled up on mine to pull it off of the p/s pulley. and pulled it back over. Never any belt slips or squeeks and tensioner is just fine.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Just thought I would update this thread with what worked for me. I did what I had quoted in my original post, that another member had recommended. Removing passenger side tire and inner fender lining, and prying down on he top of the spring of the tensioner (against the sheet metal inner fender), worked so easy it was almost goofy. Took me about 10 seconds to do, and was safer IMO than prying on any pulleys. Finally replaced the whining idler pulley between the PS & water pump.

Quick Reply: Removing Serpentine Belt