LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Noise in the front end (GXP)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Noise in the front end (GXP)

Hey Guys
I'm noticing a noise coming from my front end. I've done some searching but cant find anything that matches it. It's like a whine from a belt or something . It doesn't make the noise when sitting in park and reving it, but when you put it in drive (with the foot on the brake) and give it some gas you can hear it.

As you drive away it also makes the noise . Seems like it is coming from the belt area under the hood . As you give it gas the motor torques a bit and then comes the sound. Kinda weird it is only when in gear.

Any ideas what I could be looking for ?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had power steering lines that were touching places they shouldn't have been after my trans swap, it was a very high pitch, RPM proportional whine. Isn't the power steering pump off in park? IDK that could explain it. I took it back to the dealer they fixed it not sure what was touching or where, guessing it was the pump.

I also have a whine coming from the transmission sitting in 1st in tapshift mode only, doesn't sound like what you are getting. You can hear it coming from behind the FL wheel hub etc when sitting in 1st, it goes away in 2nd. I found that noise was from a high commanded line pressure, still not sure if that is normal or not, according to the pressure tables it isn't.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Ok thanks, I'll start there. I checked the power steering fluid and it was at the add level, I have some old stuff but have to check if its compatible. I'll top it up and see what happens.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you replace your flex pipe on your headers?Might be the noise your hearing?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Launching!

I'm familiar with whistle noise, I wrapped the flex with header wrap and that pretty much got rid of that.

The noise I'm hearing is more like a whine, fairly loud and only when in gear. The noise gets louder as you step on the gas.

Quick Reply: Noise in the front end (GXP)