LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tuning '06 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning '06 SS

I have decided that I need a little bit of tuning to the ride. I would like to tune out the DOD, eliminate the park/neutral rev limiter and eliminate the top speed limiter. What would be the cheapest route to get this done? It doesn't seem like I would need to spend $600 dollars to get these things done. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

May I suggest the Diablo Predator tuner....you could buy one used or new, and have Lew do his magic for an extra couple bucks and get awesome results.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Launching!

find a local shop w/ dyno. most use hp tuner's. I recommend removing stability control and there is one other, cant remember, but pisses me off when it activates at hard accel in hard turns.... Our cars could be different though as I have a 08 gxp....I think im thinking of torque management...stops me from ripping the tires when my wheel is turned and makes me and the car look like a dumbass as i bounce off these limitations....lol
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

x2 on the DiabloSport and Lew tune. There's no better mod in terms of bang-for-buck.

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
find a local shop w/ dyno. most use hp tuner's. I recommend removing stability control and there is one other, cant remember, but pisses me off when it activates at hard accel in hard turns.... Our cars could be different though as I have a 08 gxp....I think im thinking of torque management...stops me from ripping the tires when my wheel is turned and makes me and the car look like a dumbass as i bounce off these limitations....lol
Dyno tunes are great for ultimate performance, but if it's the only way the car is tuned, then a lot of improvement in part throttle and everyday drivability can be left on the table. What I'm saying is, tuning based on a WOT run on a dyno will help your car run faster at the track or in a street race, but part throttle gains on the street will be less. A good tuner will run the car on the street as well as the dyno. This also costs a bit more, but you also get the best results possible. Anyway, you'll pay at least $300 for a dyno tune, and you'll get about an hour of the tuner's time and maybe 3 pulls. This generally doesn't include any real-world street time.

To me, Lew's tune is a great deal. You'll make a log using your Predator or Trinity. THe log will include cruising and regular driving, as well as WOT blasts. You'll then e-mail him the log and your original PCM calibration, and he'll modify it and send it back. You'll then make another log with the new tune installed and send it back to him. You'll probably go through this 2 or 3 times before it's dialled in, but the results are outstanding. And the best part is, he gives free lifetime retunes in case you mod the car with headers and/or other bolt-ons.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

I have already spoken to Lew and he doesn't think that any work on my car is feasible with his experience. I have the cartuning turbo. I don't really need any additional power or reworking of the A/F tables. I just want to eliminate some of the limits that are already imposed on my car. I don't think that a dyno tune is going to be necessary either. Not looking for top numbers, just more fun.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

You have a turbo kit on there? Did you just put the kit on and are looking for a tune or have you had it on and tuned and now want to remove those things?

I ask cause, I can't believe a tuner wouldn't do those things when putting on a turbo.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

I have had the turbo since January of 2010. I am just now interested in getting these things done.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody with HPtuners can change those. It would be a $100 for the credits, and whatever for there time. Which should be less than 5 mins.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate all of the answers. Anyone around the Kansas City area with HP Tuners? I will pay $150 to have it done.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never realized you were from kansas city....gonna drive down there and make you give me a ride in your monte
Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Done! The only other seat in my car is the passenger though. No rear seats anymore.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
Monte's and Impala's don't have stability control... only you GXP'ers do...

the other thing you're thinking of is the differential anti-score protection that kicks in...

and yeah, with Millers car with that turbo kit he's got on there, and all he wants done is those few items changed, not worth it to have to buy a predator or trinity, then pay me for a tune, etc... you're better off getting it done by a hptuners shop....

you never had a tune done on the car for that turbo setup???? or did you have to send your ecm/tcm to cartuning for them to tune 'em?? if you haven't done either, then that's not good... and you should get a full dyno tune done for it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-02-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Whats up Lew any new tweaks coming up.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
or did you have to send your ecm/tcm to cartuning for them to tune 'em??
^^^This. It was a PITA to deal with customs because the transaction was already covered by the NAFTA. I have no problems with the car. Had it since 2008 and the turbo only made it more fun to drive. I see people dealing with the DOD issues and I don't want any part of it anymore. The things that I would like done to my car aren't a part of the cartuning package.

"...tune out the DOD, eliminate the park/neutral rev limiter and eliminate the top speed limiter."

While I am not 100% sure about the top speed limiter, (it may have been removed with the cartuning tune) I just wanted to take the opportunity while I get the other things done to remove it completely. I don't think that these things are unreasonable. I am VERY happy with the performance and fuel economy that I get with the car. I have no problems with it. I guess that I just don't understand tuning enough to see why these things are such a big deal.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

One thing I'd be worried about is the tune you already have might be using a custom 2.5 bar OS. That would raise the number of credits needed to unlock your car on someone's tuner, and drive up your cost. Unless I'm mistaken, which is very possible, I think you'd need 4 credits ($200 worth) to unlock your tune. Maybe Brian396 or Supercatxr7 can comment. I think your best bet would be to just knuckle down and get HP tuners. You'll be able to play with the car on your own time at your own pace.