LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Update on the Bad on the GXP..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thats fine. Again what did I bash on this car???

And Thank you David for pointing out those maintenance records. Sounds just about in line with mine what I have done.
But would cronic early rusting out of exhaust parts and over corroding of batteries constitute the yearly regular matinence? That even after using all that is offered to stop the corrosion it still builds up in an alarming rate. Hell no.. What you put down is what that should be. Not what I described..

I just do not get it?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
Ok thats fine. Again what did I bash on this car???

And Thank you David for pointing out those maintenance records. Sounds just about in line with mine what I have done.
But would cronic early rusting out of exhaust parts and over corroding of batteries constitute the yearly regular matinence? That even after using all that is offered to stop the corrosion it still builds up in an alarming rate. Hell no.. What you put down is what that should be. Not what I described..

I just do not get it?
I have no clue as to why your battery cable needed replacement. My positive cable was corroded pretty bad. The cable was loose, so I cleaned it, and tightened it. Your mufflers should not have rusted through or blown out. This is very odd. GM use's the same material that other major manufactures use. Maybe one of the mufflers drain got clogged with carbon, so water got trapped? Sometimes **** just happens.. Sucks I know..

I bought my 2004 XLT 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ranger (4.10 limited slip!) brand new and after 6 months the CD player went out and the front sway bar was squeaking when going over bumps. The engine had a slight rattle to it at times too.
I traded it in for the the GXP and at 65K it need new brakes, tires, front shocks, clutch and slave master cylinder. I drove and wheeled the **** out of that truck, and I miss it a lot! I used to read about the 4.0's blowing head gaskets, breaking hubs, and needing slave cylinders. Really freaked me out at times.

My neighbor bought a Celica GTS and it needed a head and head gasket at 50K. Her warranty was up so she paid 6,000 to get it fixed. I think the shop really worked her over.

Hopefully, these stories help to make you feel a little better.

****..making car payments, paying full coverage for auto insurance, and putting in 65-70.00 worth of gas each week.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I have no clue as to why your battery cable needed replacement. My positive cable was corroded pretty bad. The cable was loose, so I cleaned it, and tightened it. Your mufflers should not have rusted through or blown out. This is very odd. GM use's the same material that other major manufactures use. Maybe one of the mufflers drain got clogged with carbon, so water got trapped? Sometimes **** just happens.. Sucks I know..
It needed replacement because the corrosion ate the metal so bad in one spot. Even after using the terminal protectant. One spot it just ate through it. I would clean around the pos+ terminal every detailing before the show. Kicking myself for not taking pictures.
The mufflers rusted out on the tops of them in the same areas on both. top rear near the back seat area. Searching around a few GP forums its not uncommon on these cars..its the seals they are not the best and when weather related crap gets in there they rot out.

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I bought my 2004 XLT 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ranger (4.10 limited slip!) brand new and after 6 months the CD player went out and the front sway bar was squeaking when going over bumps. The engine had a slight rattle to it at times too.
I traded it in for the the GXP and at 65K it need new brakes, tires, front shocks, clutch and slave master cylinder. I drove and wheeled the **** out of that truck, and I miss it a lot! I used to read about the 4.0's blowing head gaskets, breaking hubs, and needing slave cylinders. Really freaked me out at times.

My neighbor bought a Celica GTS and it needed a head and head gasket at 50K. Her warranty was up so she paid 6,000 to get it fixed. I think the shop really worked her over.

Hopefully, these stories help to make you feel a little better.

****..making car payments, paying full coverage for auto insurance, and putting in 65-70.00 worth of gas each week.
And again Dave, im not feeling bad about it. But as you said, paying on a car and things go on a car that I never would think at its milage and year. Its odd. And not bashing on the car as some think. Just posting on the "bad" that my car is starting to have happen on what is a DD and used every day. Some share the same issues as me. I do love the car its fun and all it was advertised to be. Yes it does suck that some odd things happen..

Quick Reply: Update on the Bad on the GXP..